[LRflex] Re: Future R system

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:33:28 -0700

Robert Lilley asked:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Future R system

> Alex,
> I have been caught up in the Medium Format/Large Format debate as well.  I
> own several MF and LF cameras.  I have lugged all this equipment about in
> the field.  Its not only about cameras and lenses, its also about getting
> a large camera and it's film to the scene and keeping it motionless when
> you get there.  I have invested quite a bit of money in tripods, heads,
> backpacks and other ancillary equipment to do this.  Every time I am in
> the field I am reminded of this 1950's film about a bunch of peasants who
> drag this huge canon over hill and dale to attack a fort.  I have
> invested in a large darkroom that can handle up to 5x7" without a problem.
> But...
>
> I am starting to wonder if it is really worth it after seeing the pictures
> taken with R cameras by this group.  I have come to the conclusion that
> its not about negative size.  It is all about the quality of the lens and
> tripping the shutter at the right place and time.   I have only a R4 and a
> Summicron 2.8 50mm at this point.  This combination takes wonderful
> pictures.  I am seriously thinking about selling all my LF and MF kit and
> buying a complete Leica R system.
>
> Question is, what do I buy?  Hmmm...

Hi Rob,
Simple answer...with a question?  "WHAT DO YOU SHOOT?"

If it's sports it's long glass from 280mm and longer, a 15mm just in case,
the 80-200 zoom, just in case,  the Noctilux... just in case? And the list
goes on.

However it still comes down to one question......... "what do you shoot and
what do you like to shoot?"
Answer these, then we can go from there.

I've been an R and M user since they came out, other than the first SLR I
never bothered with... no loss! My usual body count was always 3 motor
driven bodies always... Sl, SL2, R4, R7, R8 being the last. I've switched to
CANON digi camera bodies and lens adapters. Those who complain about lack of
auto-focus, read my lips.... "GET OVER IT!" If you are a LEICA user it's
always been manual!

And the stopped down metering, another no big deal, get over it and start
shooting. In many cases I've nearly always shot with the widest possible
aperture and fastest shutter speed. WHY? Well it helps clear the crap out of
backgrounds and helps with the possibility of camera shake by using high
shutter speeds.

Yep I know others cringe at this description but, yes I do shoot stopped
down when the photo situation calls for it. Other wise it's wide open or a
stop or two down. Exposures were always just ducky! :-)

As a photojournalist and a non-techie type I just bought Leica glass in
relation to the type of photography I was shooting, documentary, magazines
and commercial assignments. And because the LEICA GLASS is the best damn
image cutting glass on the market. Oh I know I'll get arguments, not worth
my time to listen to nor reading! Simply because my comments about LEICA
stuff, good, bad or ugly. Are given after being a professional
photojournalist with 60 years experience and still shooting!  Not the
manual reading opinions of techie types.

My Canon digital camera with the 280mm 2.8 shooting baseball and other
sports produces wonderful images that look smashing at print sizes usually
made filling 13X19 size Epson paper.

So mon mi, answer the question.... "what do you or are you shooting" then
maybe an answer of glass can be offered.

For all those hand wringing crying about not having a digital R body, "GET
OVER IT AND MOVE ON!" Before most of us ever see one  from Leica other than
the $25,000 or whatever price the S line cost, we'll all be in camera
heaven. :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted

tedgrantphoto.com   ............ have a look at some  samples and all LEICA.