[LRflex] Re: Future R system

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:16:31 -0700

At 12:01 AM 05/08/2010, you wrote:
>Another thing that has been discussed plenty here is the future of
>the R system. Sorry but i dont have the time to read everything, so :
>Can you guys tell me what the latest situation is on this ? I dont
>want to start some discussion here, just want to know (in short) the
>facts. Thank you and greetings !

Hi Axel!

The facts are that Leica have announced that there will be no
successor in the R line.  All their remaining stock has been sold
off, at bargain rates, and is available through a small number of retailers.

There is to be an "adequate solution" for we who own R glass, but it
is now a couple of years, with no solution in sight, rumoured or announced.

If there is no "adequate solution" for R users announced at the
upcoming Photokina, you can probably assume that the R is a dead
end.  Sad, but true.

And that's about it.

All of this, of course, has led to a large number of people putting
Leitax mounts on their R glass and moving to Pentax, Nikon, etc.  Of
course, R glass can also be used on Canon and Olympus (4-Thirds &
Micro 4 Thirds) cameras, via adapters.  All of these solutions are
stop-down metering only, but otherwise quite successful.   YMMV.

Cheers!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, BC,  Canada

Wildlife & Sports: www.furnfeather.net