[LRflex] Re: Bokeh (OT)

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:05:38 +1000

Reg,

I owned and used the 70-210 but sold it after acquiring the 80-200.  I
think there are others on the list that have also used both and may wish
to comment.  I think the consensus is that the 80-200 is just an amazing
lens in an absolute sense and for the price.  It is also made in Japan
but that is no issue.

The 70-210 is no slouch, it has a different character to the 80-200 but
not as sharp or contrasty, however it produces very appealing images.
Just looking at the shots I have here at home the 70-210 has a softer
bokeh, the bokeh on the 80-200 has 'edges' and may not be as appealing.
All subjective and depends on your tastes.

If you get the 70-210 go for a late serial number.  The other thing to
consider is that the 70-210 is a one touch zoom and this may or may not
be important depending on your preferences.

Here is a shot with the 70-210 mounted on a Sigma SD14
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/3605124835/sizes/l/

Here is a shot with the 80-200 mounted on a Sigma SD14
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/3806884493/sizes/l/

And the 80-200 again,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4052672264/sizes/l/

Walter