PAW 6, Vuescan?

  • From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, PAW Project Discussions <paw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, seephoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:36:44 -0500

PAWs:

O.K. all of you Vuescan users -

I'm trying to learn how to scan black and white with Vuescan. Since I can't use Digital ICE with B&W, I'm looking for some way to cut down on the spotting when I scan all of these old black and white negatives and that's why I downloaded Vuescan. So far, I'm not too impressed, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious. When I crank the infrared cleaning up to high, the image gets too soft. When it's on medium or light, I still have to spend a long time spotting out dust and scratches. These first two were on medium, but I did a lot of spotting. Am I overlooking something obvious or expecting too much? These are old negatives and I've cleaned them as much as I can without scratching them more.

Other than that, these are all photos I'm scanning for stock. What do you think? The second alternate is another old Kodachrome.

Week 6: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515879
Alternate 1: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515884
Alternate 2: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515900

Thanks for looking.