[klaatumail] Re: 1980s music [almost no kk]

  • From: "Jens C. Lindblad" <jens.lindblad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:40:45 +0200

Dave and Dean and everyone else for your recent posts which I have been
reading with great interest. It is really a treat, a privilege and extremely
good value for money reading your thoughts. :-)

As an example of what I think was really lost in the 80'es and onwards was
music like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w&feature=related

To be replaced by electronica, hip-hop, what we term "Euro-trash" in this
part of the world, and of course, punk, new wave and by what other names it
went by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc2ZIQ-xp7o&feature=related

But then again, we also had this in the 80'es, and it still gives me goose
bumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vUDmFjWgVo

I quite enjoyed songs like London Calling and Eaton Rifles in their day, and
bands like The Clash, The Jam, Siouxsie And The Banshees, and much of the
output of Blondie, Pretenders and especially Talk Talk. The latter of course
led to Mark Hollis going off and making increasingly "strange",
unconventional albums and interesting music.

Interestingly, the best acts seem to have good material, i.e. songs that are
quite capable of standing out with a minimum of gimmicks, like the Isle of
View album by The Pretenders, or the Ice Queen of punk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98zdMnxl5sc

I'm trying to think if there are other markers than period and style, eg.
60'es, 70'es, 80'es, R'n'B - R&R - Prog - Punk - Pop, production values,
guitar oriented versus synth or electronica, but I find that transgressing
decades and instrumentation, perhaps a concept of artistic ambition or
progression would also be relevant to quote. Whether it be in terms of song
construction or in terms of connecting with the listener on cognitive and
emotional levels; appealing to a mathematical brain and / or the limbic
system.

Dire Straits, from the example above started out with "Sultans of Swing" and
their work (or should I say Knopfler's work) evolved.

Beatles evolved from the early days.

Punk bands / New Wave evolved.

A good song is a good song is a good song :-)

Then there is something totally different, like this which makes me almost
physically ill. I should probably have to pop some week-end pills and rave
at 3 a.m. in order to be able to get into this. See if you can name the
sample used, - without looking through the comments first!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRycHiIEDLA

Cheers

Jens

-----Original Message/s-----