[KACT] Re: block scheduling

  • From: "Mike Schainost" <Schainost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lreif@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:02:46 -0600

We are looking at the 4 X 4 too.  We are currently in a Block,  Red day
then White Day.  4 classes each day plus a seminar.  Seems that we are
spending a lot of time reteaching plus setting up and tearing down
because we don't see every class each day.  As far as academic classes
why can't red become fall and white become spring?  Any problems and/or
advantages would be appreciated.
Mike Schainost
Osawatomie HS

>>> lreif@xxxxxxxxxx 01/10/06 08:17AM >>>
In our district we are on an alternating block schedule. We seem to
have discussions on block scheduling at nearly all faculty meetings.
For those of you on a true 4x4 I wanted some feedback on a couple of
questions that repeatedly come up:
1) How do you deal with state assessments for those students who are
not in a math, science, or English class for that semester? Is it a
problem?
2) Is there a problem with students accumulating too many electives?
For example, do the students who are in band or vocal both semesters for
all four years receive 8 elective credits (or 16 if they are in both)?
3) How difficult is it for students who transfer into the district that
was not on a true 4x4 or that was on a traditional schedule, or for
those transferring out?

I know there is no perfect schedule, but any feedback you could give me
would be great! Thanks.

London Reif
Hoisington High School
lreif@xxxxxxxxxx