[KACT] block scheduling

  • From: "London Reif" <lreif@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:17:20 -0600

In our district we are on an alternating block schedule. We seem to have
discussions on block scheduling at nearly all faculty meetings.  For those of
you on a true 4x4 I wanted some feedback on a couple of questions that
repeatedly come up:
1) How do you deal with state assessments for those students who are not in a
math, science, or English class for that semester? Is it a problem?
2) Is there a problem with students accumulating too many electives? For
example, do the students who are in band or vocal both semesters for all four
years receive 8 elective credits (or 16 if they are in both)?
3) How difficult is it for students who transfer into the district that was not
on a true 4x4 or that was on a traditional schedule, or for those transferring
out?

I know there is no perfect schedule, but any feedback you could give me would
be great! Thanks.

London Reif
Hoisington High School
lreif@xxxxxxxxxx