[JA] Re: IE7 & Juno 4

  • From: "thepccat@xxxxxxxx" <thepccat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:32:03 GMT

1. I have never installed IE7 because I understand Juno 4 will not run =

properly. I don't recall what the prob is, but when I run Opera as a =

default browser, Juno 4 loads and sends/receives, but refuses to render =
=

any formatted email. My guess is IE 7 would result in the same problem. =
=

We have asked if anyone knows of a solution here, and no answer occurs. =
=

The only solution I have read is to upgrade to a version of Juno 5 =

which either works with IE 7 or Vista, depending on "where you are =

going today."

IE6 is OK, but I think it is and will be less secure than IE 7, in =

terms of unpatched critical vulnerabilities.

2. MSOE has had a very poor reputation for many years being susceptable =
=

to vulnerabilities. There are those who say now that XP has SP2 IE and =

OE are very safe, and that things are even better in Vista land. =

The answer to these concerns has, in the last several years, been going =
=

to Thunderbird email client. Now Mozilla/Thunderbird/Firefox are not =

free of vulnerabilities, but the are at least smaller in number and =

more quickly patched. =

Discussing/arguing/debating email clients is futile, as there are too =

many opinions and considerations for people to agree on anything. I am =

heading to Thunderbird because it seems to work fairly well, is well =

supported both as an email client and by various indexing software, has =
=

its email contents in non-proprietary uncompressed stores, and likely =

is less vulnerable to attack. =

OE also works, is supported in a fashion, and is indexed by even more =

software. If you are getting Vista, it comes with indexing--and I am =

sure it indexes OE.

Depending on what O/S comes with the Dell you have alternatives. =

You can upgrade to a version of Juno 5 which runs  with IE 7 or Vista. =

As I understand all you have to do is install it over your current Juno =
=

4 client, and the email will be converted to version 5 style. =

I would think this also means you could install the proper Juno 5 in a =

Vista computer, copy your Juno 4 user folders over to the Vista install =
=

and the new Juno would convert your email to the proper format and you =

would be good to go in Vista. =

If you ran XP I would think the same thing could be done with the =

suitable version 5 for XP-- and why not just use the latest [Vista] =

version--I would think the "vista" version would work as well on XP?

The only thing bothering me about Juno 5 is the "dreaded folder =

collapse" which has been reported for Juno 5. Since I never owned one, =

I don't know if this is something which happens to everyone, which =

happens when folders are large, or which only happens under certain =

predictable circumstances. Anyone "know" what's up with the folder =

collapse phenomena?

You can convert your email and address book to format to run on another =
=

email client of your choosing. That sounds like a lot more work. =

Now that I have written out all this, the "easiest" solution is to =

install the latest Juno 5 client to the new box and copy your user =

folders to its Juno 5 directory [same structure as Juno 4?], and let =

Juno set you up.

-thepccat

-- Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]I have two more elementary questions:

(1)  What's wrong between Juno 4 and EI7?

(2)  How about MSOE?

I expect my new Dell Vista laptop to arrive next week and wonder what I
(1) must, and (2) can, do.
[...]