[JA] Re: IE7 & Juno 4

  • From: "David F. Wooledge" <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: accmail Juno <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:44:12 -0800 (PST)

I may be wrong and you will find out soon, but I don't think VISTA comes with
Outlook Express.  I think the product has a different name and may not function
like Outlook Express.  This is the impression I get from reading various VISTA
reviews.
  Dave

  ------------------------------
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 01:27:27 -0500
Subject: [JA] Re: IE7 & Juno 4
From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:32:03 GMT "thepccat@xxxxxxxx" <thepccat@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

Meow> Juno 4 loads and sends/receives, but refuses
> to render any formatted email. My guess is
> IE 7 would result in the same problem.

So, my new Dell XPS 1210 is to be delivered tomorrow or the next day with
Vista, and I've got no answer yet.  My first pass will be to copy, not
install, my Juno 4 directory tree.  If this is not satisfactory, try
installing it with the Juno 4 installation program.  If still not good,
probably my next method will be to use the included MS Outlook Express
instead of upgrading to Juno 5 or using an independent mailer.  I ought
to learn MSOE anyway; some of my relatives use it and I am too ignorant
to help them when they have difficulties.

Meow> Now Mozilla/Thunderbird/Firefox are not free of vulnerabilities,
but the are at least smaller in number and  more quickly patched.

Attacks upon buggy vulnerabilities don't bother me at all.  In the
unlikely case that the laptop is wrecked by evil messages, I'll have the
original installation discs and can wipe and reinstall, losing any
messages not backed up.  Unlikely, I say, because I have repaired several
wrecked computers and don't think evil messages exploiting reader bugs
wrecked any of them.

Meow> OE also works, is supported in a fashion, and is indexed by even
more software. If you are getting Vista, it comes with indexing--and I am

Indexing doesn't interest me much, but it is a sign that MSOE is using a
conventional format, which may turn out to have other benefits.

Meow> You can convert your email and address book to format to run on
another email client of your choosing. That sounds like a lot more work.

Not a vital consideration.  I already do most Juno mail on desk computers
in two different places, sending copies of every outgoing message to be
picked up by the other computer.  The original plan was that the new
Vista laptop should replace one of them, but if it cannot run Juno 4 then
it will be a third and less used mail computer.  Heck, I might end up not
running my Juno account at all through the laptop, which would be used
only for my AOL account, Verizon DSL account, or a Hotmail, Yahoo Mail,
GMail, or other free mail account.  In any case, the third computer
needn't have all the old addresses, old mail and other data.  It can pick
them up as I go along.

Meow> Now that I have written out all this, the "easiest"
> solution is to install the latest Juno 5 client to the new
> box and copy your user folders to its Juno 5 directory
> [same structure as Juno 4?], and let Juno set you up.

Same directory tree but different data structure, requiring the opposite
sequence.  Correct squence, far as I know, is first to copy the Juno 4
tree into my new Vista laptop and then run the Juno 5 installer which
will convert everything.  The problem is, I don't like adopting a
proprietary mail format.  I'll stick with the old Juno proprietary
structure as long as practical, but if I must switch then I shall switch
to the most common format, namely MSOE.  Well, maybe that's the second
most common format, but I don't expect to switch to the AOL one.