[JA] Re: IE7 & Juno 4

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: No-Tags-Request@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:31:01 -0500

Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:35:34 -0500 Larry Cook <lcook@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
> > The problem is, I don't like adopting a proprietary mail format.

LC> And neither do I, which is why I moved to Thunderbird
> and the text-based mail storage format called MBOX.

Right; I failed to articulate my concern clearly. It is more a matter of
being conventional, thus allowing a variety of auxiliary programs such as
format converters, virus scaners searchers, etc.  If in addition a file
format escapes falling under the definition of "proprietary" then that's
a bonus but not the main point, for me.

A look in Wikipedia reveals that MSOE has used a number of different
formats over the years, including MBOX or something like MBOX and going
through a number of proprietary formats, some of them storing old
messages in one file per message folder as Juno 4 does, and some in one
big DBX or other file for all messages as Juno 5 does.

Further reading in Wikipedia revealed that MSOE isn't relevant to me,
since Vista doesn't have it.  Rather, Vista comes with Windows Mail,
using yet another proprietary format, allegedly storing each message in
its own file.  As it happens, my new Dell Vista laptop is waiting for me
(should have sent it to a nearer drop) and will be in my hot little hands
late tomorrow afternoon.

So, after unpacking and seeing whether the power switch and WiFi work, I
intend to follow the original plan: First try copying Juno 4 into Vista
by a USB finger drive.  Probably that will work but fail to read fancy
formatted messages.  If for whatever reason the transferred copy of Juno
4 is not satisfactory, then try the Juno 4 installation program.

If still no joy, then use Vista's included mailer program, with both my
Verizon DSL account and my Juno account.  Learn to use that but, even if
the Juno account doesn't work with Windows Mail, tell my friends to
continue sending to my Juno account and only use the Vista laptop mailer
for things like mailing lists, with whatever account works well there.
The laptop is more for Web than mail anyway.  Well, including occasional
Juno Webmail, a tool suitable for occasional use.

Only after understanding how to use Windows Mail, and understanding its
probable but to me unknown shortcomings, shall I study one of the other
POP standard mailers.