[juneau-lug] Work & CD request

  • From: <james.zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:48:24 +0300

OK, here's what we're up to here in Baghdad:

For the most part, we patrol a small part of Baghdad towards the airport.  We
do both mounted & dismounted patrols, the difference being how much walking is
involved.  We're out there for several reasons - the main reason is to disrupt
any insurgent activity in our area.  We try to find any sort of military
activity such as bomb making, stockpiling/using prohibited weapons (Iraqis can
own some weapons legally, we don't take those), anyone observing coalition
military facilities (making maps, targetting attacks, etc.)  And of course we
show the flag, which is reassuring to those Iraqis who like us and hopefully
intimidating to those who don't.

It's a balancing act when we're out there - we have to be ready for anything to
happen, but at the same time we try to be considerate for the people around us.
 It's easy to lose "hearts & minds" by behaving badly in the streets.

So far, we've had a very quiet time of it here.  We have detained a few curfew
violators, which are usually handed over to the Iraqi Police or let go after a
warning to stay indoors during curfew (10:30PM - 4:30AM).  My platoon works the
night shift, so I'm at work when you are.  It's a 12 hour time difference
between Alaska & Iraq.

A friend at work (hi Katrina!!) mailed me the latest Debian Sarge CD set, but
several of the CD's were damaged when I got them in Kuwait - looks like dust
got in the box, then in the sleeves and scratched the CD's, so they fail with
CRC errors.  Can anyone with a high speed connection burn me another set?
Together with the decss .debs (so I can watch DVDs with Xine)?

And finally, I'd recommend never doing business with AIT web hosting.  They're
generally terrible, as the state of www.zuelow.net can attest.

SSG Zuelow
2-299 (A/3-297)
APO AE 09342