[juneau-lug] Re: Work & CD request

  • From: <james.zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:04:11 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2005 8:57 am
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: Work & CD request

> Just for kicks, I went to the AIT site. Rendered just fine on
> Firefox
> 1.0.1. Didn't run it by W3C...maybe they have been reading this
> list and
> fixed things!

For about a month before zuelow.net just went dead, both the site itself and
the AIT admin utility (cpanel) just returned an "fopen" error page.  I didn't
have time for their e-mail help routine, because I'm never sure when/how long
I'll have access.  So, I figure it's money lost and just write it off.  But
I'll never forget that company.  Their cpanel application never worked well for
me anyway.  (The package I bought was 1 year of hosting with "unlimited" pop
e-mail accounts, but their cpanel application just returned a 404 when I
clicked on the button to create a new account.  That was my first sign that
things were not all good.)

> James,
>
> I have been getting info from anysoldier.com about sending
> supplies and
> goodies to the troops. How are you and your unit doing in this
> area?
> I'll send my first package your way if you or your buddies need or
> want
> something.

The Juneau Republican Women have been sending us care packages, you may have
heard about their donation drive (I guess it was help Feb 18?) - they just
finished sending out packages to all of the Alaska National Guard soliders
mobilized to Iraq and Afghanistan.  They've been fantastic, giving us phone
cards before we left the states, etc.  The people of Kodiak got together and
got us individually numbered Leatherman tools.  The family readiness people up
in Anchorage get together with families & send boxes, but I don't know where
they get the supplies from.  So we're actually pretty well set for care
packages.

Now if the LUG wanted to put together a digital care package, things like a
half dozen CD's with XP Service Pack 2 on it and any hot fixes you can download
without going to WindowsUpdate, the latest OpenOffice for Linux & Windows & OS
X, would be cool.  A lot of soldiers are buying laptops with XP on them, but
they can't pull down something like SP2 over the links we have here and most
don't have Microsoft Office installed.

Re the Debian CD's - Katrina tells me that she still has the iso images & can
burn a new set for me.  (Wow - you kept _ALL 15_ iso images?  Big hard drives
these days...)  So that issue should be covered.

Anyway - gotta run, just have a few minutes here.