[jhb] Re: Network Mystery

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 01:52:52 +0100

Try creating a network drive on the laptop (say S: or something obvious) and
point it to the folder on the PC you want to get at.

My PC doesn't have a lot of programs on it (basically just the SBS stuff)
but I sometimes need to work on the SBS files from the laptop. Half the time
I can't because when I click on the Network icon and it slowly kicks into
action the PC doesn't show up.

I created Drive S: on the laptop as a network drive and set it up to point
to the Kinetic folder on the PC. It's (almost) always there and shows up as
Kinetic SBS (\\PC2) (S:)
in Explorer. What I don't understand is that it shows up at many times when
the actual Network icon can't find the PC - but I suspect it's the Network
part of Windows that is wonky.