[jhb] Re: Network Mystery

  • From: "tom smith" <ftd.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 20:07:08 +0100

the same happens to me frank windows 7
tom
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Frank Turley
  To: JHB List
  Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:57 PM
  Subject: [jhb] Network Mystery

  I thought I would consult the gurus on this list to explain something that
has me baffled.

  I run a small network here, connected via a Netgear router which connects
all machines to each other and to the internet. I use my old Athlon machine
running XP Home for e-mail and downloads, and my Vista 32 bit machine for
FSX.

  When I download a file for FSX I save it on my Athlon machine, to a shared
directory. From my Vista machine I access the appropriate folder on the
Athlon and copy the file across to the Vista machine. All makes sense so
far.

  Now for the mystery. Normally, when I select Network from my Vista menu,
it brings up a folder, and listed in the folder are my machines plus the
router. Sometimes, however, it doesn't seem to find the other machines, I
just see the router listed. What makes it more mysterious, is that if I then
select Network and Sharing Centre form the network screen, and then click on
View Full Map, I can then see the other machines, so Vista is obviously
detecting their existence. Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a cure?

  Frank T.