[jhb] Network Mystery

  • From: "Frank Turley" <frank.turley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB List" <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:57:02 +0100

I thought I would consult the gurus on this list to explain something that has
me baffled.

I run a small network here, connected via a Netgear router which connects all
machines to each other and to the internet. I use my old Athlon machine running
XP Home for e-mail and downloads, and my Vista 32 bit machine for FSX.

When I download a file for FSX I save it on my Athlon machine, to a shared
directory. From my Vista machine I access the appropriate folder on the Athlon
and copy the file across to the Vista machine. All makes sense so far.

Now for the mystery. Normally, when I select Network from my Vista menu, it
brings up a folder, and listed in the folder are my machines plus the router.
Sometimes, however, it doesn't seem to find the other machines, I just see the
router listed. What makes it more mysterious, is that if I then select Network
and Sharing Centre form the network screen, and then click on View Full Map, I
can then see the other machines, so Vista is obviously detecting their
existence. Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a cure?

Frank T.