[jhb] Re: Network Mystery

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:27:52 +0100

I have a similar problem. I have a folder of the same name on the desktops of three machines. This one is on XP. The FSX machine is on W7 Professional 64 and my laptop is on Vista 32. I can pass files between this and the FSX machine. I run FSC etc on this machine and they connect to FSX on the W7 setup. The laptop sees the others but files won't move between it and either of the others.

I had a techie in and he got it to work. He went home and it hasn't worked since. I have to fall back on a memory stick.

Gerry Winskill

Frank Turley wrote:
I thought I would consult the gurus on this list to explain something that has me baffled. I run a small network here, connected via a Netgear router which connects all machines to each other and to the internet. I use my old Athlon machine running XP Home for e-mail and downloads, and my Vista 32 bit machine for FSX. When I download a file for FSX I save it on my Athlon machine, to a shared directory. From my Vista machine I access the appropriate folder on the Athlon and copy the file across to the Vista machine. All makes sense so far. Now for the mystery. Normally, when I select Network from my Vista menu, it brings up a folder, and listed in the folder are my machines plus the router. Sometimes, however, it doesn't seem to find the other machines, I just see the router listed. What makes it more mysterious, is that if I then select Network and Sharing Centre form the network screen, and then click on View Full Map, I can then see the other machines, so Vista is obviously detecting their existence. Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a cure? Frank T.