[jhb] Re: EGNS

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:06:56 +0100

I would agree.

Perspective in real world flying is mentioned much in the books but that is
because we can't alter it in real life - it's stuck a 100%. Perspective
allows us to judge descent rate and speed on approach and the right time to
flare. It's an evolving skill - it takes time to learn - and those that pick
it up quickly are usually the ones that solo earlier. Some (a rare few) have
no ability to assess perspective at all - cannot gauge distance - and will
happily flare a good 30ft off the ground on one approach and never flare at
all on the next. It's a sad thing to have to tell them that without this
there isn't any point in continuing..

If you fly in FS exactly the same rules apply. Different users have
different preferences for their default zoom level, partly through their
mental perception and partly because of monitor size. Once you find your
preferred setting you should stick to it.

Changing zoom level blows perspective out of the window. If you zoom in you
get excessive viewpoint movement with any control input, you lose any sense
of height and speed as you will seem faster/higher or lower/slower with zoom
changes. It is therefore best to stick with just one setting and only use
zoom briefly - especially on approach.

It is also worth checking the zoom settings for each aircraft you fly as
they may vary. This can make some aircraft difficult on approach or landing
as the perception of speed may be quite different to what you normally
expect.