[jhb] Re: EGNS

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:14 +0100 (BST)

> BTW, has anyone else arrived at Lleweni Parc yet?
I have sadly abandoned the Tiger at the moment for Farm Stripping as the
FS models - either Bones's or Warwick Carter's cannot stop quickly enough
for some of the very short strips (400 metres) when you cannot see the
runway markers soon enough to be able to line up and make a proper
controlled approach.  I always end up slightly off line and have to do a
jink at very low height short range which invariably takes me over the
threshold too high or too fast or both.

Some time ago I found a Westland Lysander, which seems an unlikely beast
for farm strips, but that was exactly what it was good at in the war -
dropping agents in at night to fields lit by only a few flares.  It is a
bit of a beast to fly as I'm not yet used to it's considerably excess
power, and it's unusually high horizon aspect out of the cockpit, so my
instinctive attitude flying has it climbing all the time, and rapidly too!
However, it is proving excellent for short field work. At 75 knots
approach speed, it stops in about 250 metres with gentle braking.
However, get too slow and although it won't stall, it suddenly sinks like
a brick without warning.

Peter