Re: Authorization key will not install under Windows XP

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:05:01 -0500

Hi Doug,
I notice you mention that you were sure there was no anti virus software
running when you tried the authorization.  That's a common cause of this
type of problem, so if you're sure about that then you've eliminated one
problem.

Have you tried running HJAUTH.EXE and selecting the radio button in the
option cluster to check the authorization count on the diskette since
inputting the authorization string from FS?  Just curious about that because
nothing was mentioned about actually checking the count of authorizations on
the diskette.  Might tell you something useful that would hint at the
problem.  Do remember to change the C: parameter to A: so it's checking the
count of authorizations on the floppy and not the hard drive.

I'm running Windows XP Home with SP1 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.  I've never
heard of the motherboard problem so can't comment to that.  The only thing
that's ever caused me trouble is Norton Antivirus, and so long as I disable
the auto protect it goes fine.

Otherwise without knowing more about the specific brand or model of computer
I can't think of what else could be running in Windows XP that might
interfere with the authorization software.  That is to say I've never run
into this supposed motherboard problem FS is talking about.

I agree the software protection isn't ideal.  I had to deal with a number of
credit processing softwares in the past that used diskette authorization and
hated dealing with them.  The USB dongle would be a pain to use all the time
but I really don't think that would help the situation any.  I've never
heard of a motherboard determining what data can go to the hard drive, which
is where the key is stored.
-Greg Epley