[jawsscripts] Re: Introduction and a question

  • From: "Brian Lee" <brianllee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:51:06 -0700

The IE7 protected mode is off if UAC is disabled.  It is based on the User
Interface Privilege Isolation technology introduced in Vista to control such
things as user permission levels.

When Internet Explorer 7 is running in Protected Mode (which is the default
in all but the "Trusted" security zone) the process runs with low rights,
even if Internet Explorer is being run by an administrator. This means that
even if an attacker defeated all defense mechanisms and got control of the
Internet Explorer process and managed to run some arbitrary code, it would
be severely limited in what it could do. Nearly all of the file system and
registry would be off limits for writing, reducing the ability of an exploit
to modify the system or harm your files. The code wouldn't have enough
privileges to install software, put files in your Startup folder, hijack
browser settings, or do other nasty things.

If you download and use TweakUAC you will be able to run UAC in its quiet or silent mode. In such a mode, you keep all the positive effects of UAC, such as
Internet Explorer operating in the protected mode, applications starting
without the administrative privileges by default, etc. The only thing that
gets changed is that you will no longer see the infamous "Windows needs your
permission to continue" messages whenever you attempt to make a change to
your Vista configuration, or when you run a program that needs
administrative rights.

If any one decides to download and install TweakUAC, the check mark in the license agreement screen is not labeled and so you will need to find the unlabeled graphic beside the "I agree" choice and simulate a left click on the graphic. In the following window JAWS might tell you that the selected choice is one of one, but if you use down arrow you can move to other choices. One of those choices is to run UAC in silent mode.

I think that keeping UAC's and protected mode security in place is a good idea, but you can get rid of the "Windows needs your permission" messages by running TweakUAC in silent mode. Any one interested can download the file at:
http://www.tweak-uac.com/download/

Brian Lee
brianllee@xxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Harmon" <rharmgon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>