[iyonix-support] Re: ROM 512 and wireless keyboards

  • From: Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:50:39 +0100

In article <e49a777c4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Darlington
<rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2006, Ian Hamilton wrote:
> > In article <4d55c97b4e07e1637c4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger
> > Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I have just installed a (FULL) RO 5.12 ROM [without changing a
> >> graphics board].

> >> But the previous setup of Mouse/Keybord no longer works.

[Snip]

> >> They were both plugged into the back Iyonix usb sockets, using 2
> >> sockets.

[Snip]

> > Have you tried swapping the cables over? !USBKick might help too.

> I even went out and bought a crappy 5quid keyboard, to eliminate any
> wireless trouble.

> Yes, I did swap the cables over, still the same: only one device
> recognised (the one in the inner back USB socket). The other one (the
> outer back USB socket) will not give out any power (doesn't illuminate
> neither mouse, nor keyboard if they are swapped) after a re-boot.

Have you tried it with all devices in the front sockets removed to see if
it makes a difference?

> The only way I can get the mouse in the outer back socket to work is to
> physically un-plug it after a re-boot, and put it back in again!

> So both back USB sockets DO work after a fashion, but the outer back
> one only works after the device plugged into it has been re-plugged,
> (and USBkick cannot persuade it to work).

Kicking the onboard sockets is less likely to work than those on a hub.
If you have a hub then move the mouse to it.

> Naturally, because the mouse refuses to work in the Outer Back USB
> socket, it doesn't even illuminate, I cannot operate USBkick (not with
> the mouse anyway).

Putting !USBKick in the boot sequence would eliminate the need to operate
with a mouse but it doesn't look as though it will help in this case.

[Snip]

> Unplugging keyboard and plugging back in enables keyboard to work.
> After re-plugging keyboard, Computer useable.

> But ROM 5.12 Rubbish!!!

I guess you could try unplugging the EHCIDriver which should then
softload USB2 as with 5.11. Short term fix rather than a permanent
solution though. I don't have 5.12 so I don't know if that might cause
other problems.

Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (RISC PC RO4)  http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
             (Iyonix  RO5)  Programs compatible with RISC OS 3/4/5