[iyonix-support] Re: RO 5.12 and alt-rename bug

  • From: John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:48:26 +0100

On 18 Oct, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message of 18 Oct, John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > AIUI, that pays for all the bug fixes we're going to get for a
> > > period of time; period yet to be defined.  Much like the Select
> > > subscription in principle, though Castle have a better track record
> > > for number of upgrades delivered.

> > Select has delivered the documentation!

> > Having got over the problems of downloading is there any concensus on
> > what is actually delivered in 5.12? What is the difference between
> > 5.12 and 5.11? Is it worth the cost or is the step reliant entirely on
> > what is to follow?

> The normal commercial practice in software support is for some retainer
> to be paid for continued development.  So far we have got off lightly as
> we have paid nothing since the machines were released in 2002.  Castle
> have to survive and it seems completely reasonable for them to make this
> sort of charge.  They delayed until 5.11 was established as stable,
> which it certainly has been here, and have devised this means of
> entitlement to future support.

> If you want future support, this is the price.  You can always wait
> until you need it but a spirit of generosity would say that it is fair
> to pay now.

Is that from a public statement from Castle?

If there is nothing in 5.12 other than the inclusion of USB2 then perhaps we
should be asking for some specifics about future (free) upgrades. Are there to
be any? Is there a (rough) timescale? What sort of upgrades are planned? Does
it depend on work done through the open initiative or has work been
commissioned from professional developers?

As some who had already purchased USB2 seem to have purchased the upgrade to
5.12 (or did they get a discount?) then some assurances for future development
would be welcome. There's a big difference between "pay us some money" and
"pay this money to support and receive the results of <this development> which
we intend to release over the next <x> months".

I'm looking for details of what's included in 5.12 and what is expected to be
included in the (free) 5.13, 5.14, &c

--
        John