[iyonix-support] HD replacement

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:59:19 +0000 (GMT)

Sorry to ask such a basic/trivial question. But I'm trying to work out the
easiest way to remove the HD from an Iyonix! Been years since I've done
this so I have forgotten.

Having removed the case I can see the screws that hold the HD in the
cradle. But without more dis-assembly I can predict that one or two on the
'sheet of metal' side will tinkle down into the guts of the machine when
removed or I try replacing them. So I guess I need to be able to do some
more steps of dis-assembly before undoing the screws that hold the HD into
the HD+CDROM 'cradle'. (Yes, there is a CD Writer above the HD.)

Can someone please remind me of how to do this or point at some
instructions? I have a printed TRM but it doesn't seem to cover this.

Context: My wife's Iyo made clunking and whirring noises yesterday. I
diagnosed "HD or PSU". Today, no noises at all from the HD and (as
yesterday) eventually gives a desktop with the predictable 'can't find a
HD' type error message. So the machine does eventually boot up. But the HD
seems to be a polygon...

Want to remove it to check in a USB external caddy (with its own PSU) on my
Iyo. Then decide what to do next. But having removed the top-and-sides case
I reach the stage described above. Too long since I've done this! :-/

Slainte,

Jim