[iyonix-support] Re: Geminus - two screens, anyone?

  • From: Martin Hodgson <marthodgson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:53:56 +0000 (GMT)

In article <531728c561mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]
> Yes, I too was unwilling to pay out a lot for something which I wasn't sure
> would work, so I got one from Amazon for £27.99 with free postage. I see it
> is still available :
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-Geforce-Videocard-Memory-TV-out/dp/B008QUJR6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359718735&sr=8-1

> This one certainly works, though due to the inability to get the screen
> display exactly as I would like, it doesn't often get used.
> The only down side is that, since this one has its own fan, there is now an
> audio indication of the Iyonix working!

[Snip]

> Good luck,
> John

Following the above link, I too now have an FX5200 card in my Iyonix.
The card is branded "CM3", with 128 MB DDR RAM
This also has a small fan which emits an annoying level of noise.

The card has quite a large metal heat sink. The fan is very easy to
disconnect, or to add a resistor to reduce speed (as I did many years ago
to tame a Wintel M/C).

Since the Iyonix is unlikely to stress the card much (no 3D acceleration
for starters), is that fan really necessary, at that speed ?

Has anyone any experience with this ?

Martin Hodgson