[iyonix-support] Re: HD replacement

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:19:57 +0000

Hi

if it is a standard iyonix case, the cradle is held in place with 2 screws.. remove cradle before removing drive.. it is far easier

thanks

John
--
Stop press! Just announced - Price Promise

Broadband from £2.99/month, no tie in

# The Utility Warehouse Price Promise means you can benefit from: The UK's cheapest Home Phone
# The UK's cheapest Home Phone and Broadband bundle
# The UK's cheapest Mobile tariffs
# The UK's cheapest standard Gas and Electricity

Or they will give you back Double the Difference!

Charges, terms and conditions apply. For full details of
the Utility Warehouse Price Promise see http://www.justaskjb.co.uk
<http://www.justaskjb.co.uk>

Intrigued? Call me

John Ballance C.Eng MIET - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

On 25/02/2013 14:59, Jim Lesurf wrote:
Sorry to ask such a basic/trivial question. But I'm trying to work out the
easiest way to remove the HD from an Iyonix! Been years since I've done
this so I have forgotten.

Having removed the case I can see the screws that hold the HD in the
cradle. But without more dis-assembly I can predict that one or two on the
'sheet of metal' side will tinkle down into the guts of the machine when
removed or I try replacing them. So I guess I need to be able to do some
more steps of dis-assembly before undoing the screws that hold the HD into
the HD+CDROM 'cradle'. (Yes, there is a CD Writer above the HD.)

Can someone please remind me of how to do this or point at some
instructions? I have a printed TRM but it doesn't seem to cover this.

Context: My wife's Iyo made clunking and whirring noises yesterday. I
diagnosed "HD or PSU". Today, no noises at all from the HD and (as
yesterday) eventually gives a desktop with the predictable 'can't find a
HD' type error message. So the machine does eventually boot up. But the HD
seems to be a polygon...

Want to remove it to check in a USB external caddy (with its own PSU) on my
Iyo. Then decide what to do next. But having removed the top-and-sides case
I reach the stage described above. Too long since I've done this! :-/

Slainte,

Jim