[iyonix-support] Re: !FreeTime not working

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:57:08 +0100

In message <581F93F16220492295BDF12A61E83E9F@PC01>
          "John Grogan" <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I have been using !Freetime on my Iyonix for a number of years with the
> same internet setup (Linksys router + VirginMedia Cable  Broadband) without
> any problem.   In the last week or two, however, !Freetime seems unable to
> get a response from any time servers  (ntp.demon.co.uk,
> ntp.virginmedia.com, time.windows.com).  I have upped the timeout from 5
> secs to 60 secs but this hasn't helped.
>
> The Windows time server is still accessible from the Windows PC on the same
> network.  I've been running RiscOS 5.16 since January  and I haven't
> consciously made any alterations to the system since then.  LanMan and
> Oregano are still running OK so I presume  there's nothing generally wrong
> with the network side of things

Interesting you should say that.  I've just raised a support case with
Pipex, who are part of the same group IIUC.

(Although I'm replying to the original post, I have read some replies
too.)

I noticed failure to access ntp.demon.co.uk a few weeks ago.  My
central heating controller, which synchronises via !FreeTime to
ntp.demon.co.uk, was clearly running slow.  I know the A3010 loses
about 5 seconds a day otherwise.  Three computers are affected: the
A3010, the Iyonix and the BeagleBoard.

I also tried pool.ntp.org, 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org and
2.pool.ntp.org, equally without success.  Eventually I found I can
access ntp.pipex.net, so that's what I've been using since then.

As a result of this thread I tried ntp2d.mmc.ac.uk but I can't
even resolve it.  ntp2.demon.co.uk and ntp.maths.tcd.ie work for
me.  I can resolve ntp.exnet.com but !FreeTime can't get time from
it and I can't ping it.

Pipex say they haven't blocked port 123.

A confusing picture, I'm afraid, but that's just the way it is.

Dave