[iyonix-support] Re: !FreeTime not working

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:18:44 +0100

On 4 Aug 2010  Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Dr Peter Young wrote:

>> On 4 Aug 2010  Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Heavily snipped]
> [try 'uk.pool.ntp.org']
>> FWIW, I've tried that one, and it doesn't work here. Something to do
>> with ports, I think, and hence something I don't understand.

> Ports, well that *is* another story. You may see them as a representation
> of certain services (!Boot.Resources.!Internet.files.Services keeps a
> list of these for you and the IP stack to look at).

> You may as well see them as extensions in a telephone system where the
> IP address is the general number, that say, your insurance company has
> got and the port is the extension where your personal insurance agent
> may be reached.

Thanks, and I understand this now. I still don't know how I would set
a particular port to be used by, say, FreeTime. It's a bit academic
for me, as I use NetTime rather than FreeTime anyway, but I'm always
curious, like The Elephant's Child :-)

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Lu       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.