[iyonix-support] Re: Date problem in new year

  • From: Richard Mellish <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:59:11 GMT

(I am re-sending this as it hasn't appeared on the list on the first
attempt, possibly because I've just changed my subscription to a new
email address for lists and sent the message from my oridinary
address.)

I am very glad to be among the fortunate ones who happened to have
NetTime running in our boot sequences and our internet connections
available when we started up (very late in my case!) this morning.

Clearly there's no guarantee that the internet connection will be
available on every boot up. Therefore three cheers for Matthew
Phillips, who said:
> I've just uploaded a little piece of BASIC called ClockFixer which
> might help > Iyonix users whose clocks are showing 2012.
(and another three cheers for Hilary, as the error message at the end
of ClockFixer identifies it as _Hilary's_ Clock Fixer.)

HOWEVER I don't know how to ensure that ClockFixer runs before
NetTime. I've never understood the byzantine structure of the boot
sequence. Can someone please provide some guidance?

Meanwhile, as a quick and even dirtier fix, I'm doing the following:

- in a BASIC program that does a few things for me before I run
anything (such as Messenger Pro) manually, adding a PROC to PRINT a
warning if the year isn't 2010, so I can use Alarm to put it right,

- as I have TempDir configured to delete directories more than 365
days old, making a backup of the current contents,

- temporarily fangling BlackHole's !RunImage to STOP if TIME$ isn't
showing the year as 2010 (so files stored in the bin won't get wiped).

Richard