[iyonix-support] Re: Date problem in new year

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:20:00 GMT

In message <a720bed250.Matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Matthew Phillips <mro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4B3DC5FA.40102@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  on 1 Jan 2010 David J. Ruck wrote:

[snip]

> > IIRC The realtime clock only stores years 0-3, and the OS has to keep
> > track of the base date in CMOS and add the RTC year on.If your CMOS
> > battery is no longer holding charge (mine doesn't if disconnected from
> > the mains), it would reset back to the base date programmed in to the
> > ROM. I'd have expected that to be 2008 rather than 2012, so this might
> > not be it at all. However check the rest of the CMOS settings as being
> > maintained rather than defaulting.
>
> Could you suggest a quick way of telling whether the CMOS is intact?
> I can't
> think of many things which are stored in the CMOS these days.

[snip]

If the CMOS is relevant to this problem, then I may have some
useful information. It just happens that I saved Nixiyo's CMOS
settings on 27/12/09. When Nixiyo said the year was 2012 I saved
his CMOS settings again on 02/01/10. Comparing the two files with
Martin Avison's Compare revealed two differences in the files
although I had not altered any settings/configuration between times.
I can't interpret CMOS files, but why should it change?

By the way, thank you Hilary Phillips for ClockFixer, Nixiyo
reported the correct time after boot up today.

Cheers,
Dave Lane

--
A true sign ..... of a recycled signature!