[isalist] Re: Proxy problems

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:14:06 -0700

Yes, you could do something like this:

     ISP1     ISP2
     WAN1     WAN2
      |        |
[NetGear FVX 538 Box1]

     LanFromBox1          ISP3
         WAN1             WAN2
           |               |
         [NetGear FVX 538 Box 2]

                   Int LAN

ISP1 and ISP2 go into NetGear Box 1.  You would want that guy to be in
³Fail-Over² mode.  Use DDNS just on 2 providers for inbound.  LAN from
NetGear Box 1 goes into WAN1 on Netgear Box 2, with ISP3 going into WAN2.
This guy would be in ³Load-Balancing² mode.  All published services come
from WAN1 on Box 2, which are already redundant because of Netgear Box 1.
Multiple HTTP requests would be LB between the combo of ISP1+ISP2 as ³one
leg² with ISP3.   All internal users go to NetGear Box 2 for access.

Only drawback (if it really is a ³drawback²) is that there is no LB on the
ISP1+ISP2 leg coming into WAN1 on the Netgear Box 2.  But that¹s  OK- you
just set the ³main² connection on Netgear Box 1 to the fastest ISP.

The boxes are only $350 a piece ­ and you can get the model one under the
538 (338?) even cheaper if you don¹t need P2P VPN capabilities in-box.
That¹s actually a pretty cool topology for under $700 in hardware.  You
know, I¹ve got an extra FVX538- I think I¹ll order another DSL and do just
that.  ;)

On 7/17/06 6:38 PM, "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh
to all: