[isalist] Re: Proxy problems

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:25:29 +1000

I put it in at the customer site yesterday. Works fine.

But there seems to some minor issue with this setup, but the redundancy
portion works fine.

When first powered up, traffic is routed over all 3 links, and the speed
of internet access is fantastic.  The router that manages ISP1 and ISP2,
when it detects that either of ISP1 or ISP2 have gone down, and will
route traffic to the link that's still up, which is exactly what one
would expect. We tested this by unplugging the Telephone line from the
router, and it sends traffic across the other link just fine. So far so
good.

But, even after an hour, it does not recognise that the ADSL line that
had 'failed', is back up and operational, even attempting to tweak it
back to life, by attaching to the web interface of NetGear box1 from the
internet, it does not start routing traffic down the link that had
failed, the logs still show all traffic as routing down the ISP that had
not 'FAILED'. But it only switches to the 'failed line', if we unplug
the line that had not failed, and will then hold that configuration, but
will happily switch back and forth between ADSL1 and ADSL 2, by
'failing' the other ADSL line.

So it only seems to be able to use all 3 lines from a power off cold
start up, once up and running, and 1 line has failed, it's then
effectively a 2 line setup. But given the reliability of the ADSL lines
these days, you are going to have 3 lines most of the time.

Maybe not 100% ideal, but at least there is a fairly high level of
redundancy in this setup, so the customer is very happy, with the setup.

________________________________

                        From:  Glenn P. JOHNSTON
                                From:  D PIETRUSZKA  USWRN INTERLINK
INFRA  ASST MGR <mailto:DPietruszka@xxxxxx> <mailto:DPietruszka@xxxxxx>

                                *       Date:  7/17/2006 4:42:49 PM
                                *       Server:
njisa17.interlink-intranet.net
                                *       Source:  proxy

                                If I ping the website, its  resolving
fine to  12.32.x.x but the error is showing another IP.

                                If from my proxy server   (njisa17) I
ping the website, the address returned it is also  correct.

                                So, where is ISA keeping that  wrong
IP?????

                                Thanks for all your   answers.

                                Regards