[isalist] Re: Nothing is secure like PIX

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:43:33 +1000

With some time on my hands, I'm catching up on some old posts.

A few months ago I sat in on a presentation by a 'Network Security speicalist'
at a local developer conference, who was touting that you always should have 2
layers of protection.

First a hardware based router on the perimiter that does basic SPI and only
forwards those ports internally to the ISA server, that you are running
services for.

And then something like a perimiter ISA to handle traffic between internal and
external and publish servers etc.

His main line was,  that if the hardware device has a hole in it, through a bad
manufacturing design, faulty firmware, or simply being mis configured, the same
hole is not likely to exist in the ISA device, and visa a versa, so either way
you are still protected. Similarly, if someone turns up a hole in W3K or ISA
server, then the H/W router / firewall will still protect you, as again, same
hole is not likely in both places.

If you run like some companies do, minimum 6 months behind on patching of
windows and ISA etc, it might have some validity, but if you keep patching on
the O/S and ISA upto date, then I reckon you should be pretty well covered.

What peoples thought on this, questions at the time from the floor, around W3K
/ ISA2004 & keep the patching current should be sufficient, were ducked and not
really answered, and just side stepped with you should never rely on a single
device.

________________________________

        From: "John T (Lists)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:36:46 -0700

        I agree. Mohamed has lost. (Gee, who would have thought?) Besides, I am
out of pop corn.

        John T

        eServices For You

        "Seek, and ye shall find!"

                From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:12:20 -0500

                History of PIX flaws:

                http://secunia.com/product/706/

                http://secunia.com/product/59/

                http://secunia.com/product/56/

                http://secunia.com/product/6102/

                NON-History of ISA firewall flaws:

                http://secunia.com/product/3687/  (ZERO, NONE, not any)

                Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
                Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
                MVP -- ISA Firewalls

________________________________

                                From: "Steve Lunn" <Steve.Lunn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                Subject: [isalist] Re: Nothing is secure like
PIX
                                Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:42:28 +0100

                                Can I suggest that you actually read that list
of vulnerabilities that you just posted as they all relate to ISA 2000 and not
ISA 2004.

                                Regards,

                                Steve

                                Steve Lunn
                                Technical Support Analyst - Microsoft MCP

                                engage Mutual Assurance
                                DDI: 01423 855101  Fax: 01423 855181

________________________________

                                        From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                        To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                        Subject: [isalist] Re: Nothing is
secure like PIX
                                        Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:35:29 -0700
                                        >In response:
                                        >#1 - "PIX is more secure than ISA
because it's a 'hardware' firewall". This is pure, unadulterated BS, propagated
by the same 1d10t's that ignore the *FACT* that PIX is nothing more than a
custom OS (xNIX, usually). In fact, I've only heard of *one* "hardware"
firewall; that it is strictly a L3-only box (much like your PIX)

                                        >#2 - Speed & security are orthogonal.
Security is demonstrated by resilience in teh face of unwanted traffic; speed
is merely doing it faster.

                                        >#3 - You need to read up on how any OS
(specifically Windows) network functionality works. If you *ever* find packets
being stored to disk before being processed, throw that device out the door

                                        >#4 - I posted this for Tony Su; maybe
you'll get more use ot of it:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/823ca085-8b46-4870-a83e-8032637a87c81033.mspx
 After you've read up a bit, come back and rescind this argument

                                        >#5 - this means nothing of the sort;
if you can demonstrate this assertion with fact, then by all means do so. You
should also go read up on how processes communicate in Windows.

                                        >#6 - Let's see; if I stop the PIX
firewall services, the machine is also open to attack <duh>.

                                        >#7 - no machine of any sort has
"unlimited" capabilities. If you really believe that this is possible, you must
not occupy the same physical world as the rest of us.

                                        >#8 - Based on this argument, ISA is
also a "hardware" firewall as *all* traffic inspection (not just L3 as in PIX)
is performed in RAM. Not one single packet ever leaves the motherboard except
to enter or leave the network itself.

                                        >#9 - The "adaptive security mechanism"
is L3-only. ISA policy engine and packet filter driver operate all the way to
L7. Thus, when the PIX is allowing RPC traffic to teh internal host "because it
asked for it", ISA is blocking it as invalid traffic. Case in point; Blaster
passed through every PIX on the planet; ISA blocked it in every single case.

                                        >#10 - is unclear at best. What's your
point other than to show how you can spew brand names?

                                        >#11 - I noticed that you can research
ISA issues, but you seem unable to find PIX vulns? I wonder how that can be? Go
out to www.securityfocus.com and search under "Cisco" for "PIX Firewall". I see:
Content Filtering Bypass Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/17883>

Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9899>
                                        >2006-05-05
                                        >http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9899
                                        >
                                        >Multiple Vendor TCP/IP Implementation
ICMP Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerabilities
<http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/13124>

Service Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/15525>

Information Disclosure Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/16025>

Denial Of Service Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/15401>

Approximation Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10183>

Service Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9221>

Denial Of Service Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/8970>
                                        >2003-11-04
                                        >http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/8970
                                        >
                                        >Cisco PIX ICMP Echo Request Network
Address Translation Pool Exhaustion Vulnerability
<http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/8754>

Protocol Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6904>

Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6407>

Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6211>

Buffer Overrun Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6212>

Handling Denial Of Service Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6110>

Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/5114>

Service Vulnerabilities <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4132>
                                        >2002-02-12
                                        >http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4132
                                        >
                                        >Cisco PIX Firewall SMTP Content
Filtering Evasion Vulnerability Re-Introduction
<http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/3365>

Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2551>

Detector Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2347>

Retrieval Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2344>

Address Disclosure Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1877>

Filtering Evasion Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1698>

RST Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1454>

Client Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1045>

Vulnerability <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/979>

Exposure <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/691>

Attack <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/690>
                                        >1998-08-18
                                        >http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/690
                                        >
                                        >Well, waddayano; seems like PIX takes
this particular prize.

                                        >#12 - this is nothing more than
another indication of your vast Windows / ISA ignorance

                                        >Please go educate yourself before
making such claims, or at least ask Tony Su for advice.

                                        >________________________________

about this issue, but I was quit busy in upgrading in our network
infrastructure, but I should tell you that I was really surprised by the 160
mails they were in my inbox about this issue..

                                        >It means that this matter has gained a
lot of attentions to most of members here in ISA List... I've really get amused
by these mails which come from different members with different cultures and
experiences about using hardware or software as a firewall boundary, although
that some of you have taking this issue as some kind of joke, or to get amused
by mocking ... :-):-):-)

                                        >Anyway, I've really get amused by your
mail, TOM, It was really funny and your way of talking and mocking the Idea is
very interesting... Honestly, I laughed for 15 minutes ; none-stop when I was
reading your blog :-):-):-):-):-) (( It does not mean ridiculing of you, but it
means that your way of present your Idea is really interesting :-) :-):-)

                                        >But let's start examine this issue in
neutrality way... "and let me borrow your link for ' ISA Server 2006 Firewall
Core' which u have send as you ask" :-)

                                        >First: I didn't say that PIX is the
most secure firewall in the world, and ' Supernova; The greatest hacker' can
grantee this, I just said that PIX is more secure than ISA server, which is our
issue here...( I mean that PIX as a Hardware firewall, is more secure than ISA
as a software firewall)

                                        >Second: you say that " Faster is not
the better" and you repeated it in a very interesting way, but I think you
should look at " ISA Server Firewall Core " in this paragraph:::::

                                        >"""" Firewall Engine ( Firewall Packet
Engine)

                                        >Handling these operations in Kernal
Mode, improves both performance and security. """""

                                        >This means that Microsoft tends to
increase the performance of firewall service and security service in ISA to
make it faster as possible :-).

                                        >Third: ISA 2006 firewall core depends
on Network Driver Interface Specification ( NDIS) and Microsoft Networking
Stack, that means that packet should pass the network interface, the processor,
RAM, harddisk, till it reach the network driver in windows ( Kernal Layer)
which located over the hardware layer and assembly layer, in the other hand,
the packet is analyzed, interpreted and processed in hardware layer in any
hardware firewall.

                                        >Fourth: The TCP/IP Stack in firewall
core in Kernal mode is controlled by windows , which refers to the previous
point of even the firewall engine is analyzing the packet in layer 3 and 4
before beginning processing, it will of course reach layer 5 of windows which
send it to the firewall engine in kernel mode.... (( Does it make sense??? ))
or it's better to analyze the packet as soon as it reaches the network
interface card, Isn't it??

                                        >Fifth: In the purposed document
                                        >
                                        >" Policy Engine
                                        >
                                        >The policy engine communicates with
all components of the ISA server firewall core, both with the Kernal-mode
firewall engine and the user-mode firewall service, in addition the Policy
Engine communicates with both layers of application and web filters""

                                        >This means that there are a lot of
channels opened between Firewall core and other applications running in ISA,
which means " open ports", even this ports are opened in Kernal-mode, but it's
still opened port :-)

                                        >Sixth: These are some comments
gathering from viewing just the first three papers of Microsoft Document, and I
will not telling the comments getting from the rest of this document, or the
mail will be too long :-) to read, but just I'd like to present this comment
written in the document as my last word about this document;

                                        >" Note The firewall engine driver is
the root of the firewall dependency tree. Stopping the firewall engine driver (
by using net stop fweng /y at the command prompt) also stops the other Firewall
components, which opens the computer to all network traffic """

                                        >Open to all network traffic
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, it means fully penetrated... how could it be that one
command can penetrate my network to all attacks?????? ... it does not make
sense at all, Does it??

                                        >Seventh: you compares the ISA server
2006 ( which is last release) with PIX firewall, which is in market over than
20 years, and you didn't specify which version,, Microsoft has ISA 2000, 2004,
2006... But CISCO has 501,501E,506E,515,525, and the greatest PIX 535, which
has unlimited number of users ad unlimited numbers of concurrent VPN
Connections ....

                                        >Eighth : The OS of PIX is too small
which can be loaded in RAM and some portion of processor, It doesn't mean just
that it will be faster and faster than any software firewall, but I mean that
the packet inspector process will be done at the hardware level, and in fact it
happens in the assembly level... More than that, every interface in PIX has
it's own firewall policy, firewall engine, access control,,, although you
manage all interfaces by one screen, but in fact this screen is collecting
policies and access controls and firewall services for all interfaces,,, as the
OS of PIX divide itself to make each interface has it's own control, so no need
to contact with the core OS or the kernel for any operations....

                                        >Ninth: The adaptive security
algorithm, included in PIX, will never allow an incoming traffic to go inside,
except if there is a request for this traffic from inside, and it should match
a random signature it has been given to the requested traffic, or if u make a
policy on the outside interface to allow this traffic to come in, and is called
ADAPTIVE , it means that it will strengthen it self upon the signature of the
attack or the requested traffic and how it will be filtered to insure that this
" man in the middle" will not gain access though the incoming traffic.

                                        >Tenth: I was talking here about PIX
535 which support all clustering features, as well as redundancy, as the
corresponding issue is between ISA and PIX, as a hardware and software
firewall, but If we go to market, we will find Watch Guard, Cyber Guard,
Alphafilter, CyberCom, D-Link,.....etc as well as we will see Symantec ,
Mcafee, ....etc,,, and for linux there are a lot of firewall software like
Netfilter

                                        >Eleventh: you talked about ISA 2006,
and you give me a document coming from Microsoft itself, so what will mama said
about her child???????

                                        >So if you want this, you can take a
look of the following links ::

                                        > PIX 535
                                        >

>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a008007d05d.html
                                        >

>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a00801daa53.html
                                        >
                                        >ASA 5500
                                        >

>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html
                                        >

>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_data_sheet0900aecd80404916.html
                                        >
                                        >Note that ASA 5500 has been developed
in order to satisfy market need of application filtering and Active Directory
Integrated..

                                        >But if we go to neutralized sites, we
will find that most of them are preferred PIX than ISA as a front door

                                        >and I will not go far away,
                                        >
                                        >This link is in ISASERVER.org itself
with your handwriting about ISA 2000, which shown some issue

>http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Microsoft_Confirms_DoS_Vulnerability_in_ISA_Server_2000.html
                                        >
                                        >right?
                                        >
                                        >And also :
                                        >

>http://forums.isaserver.org/m_240057200/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#240057210
                                        >
                                        >and please see this
                                        >

>http://www.critical-error.com/Article724.phtml
                                        >

>http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-10247.html
                                        >

>http://www.checkpoint.com/defense/advisories/public/2006/printer/cpai_print-03-Jun.html
                                        >

>http://www.networksecurityarchive.org/html/NTBugtraq/2004-11/msg00009.html
                                        >

                                        > Which means that you should be
standby for any articles and newsgroup to find out if there any discover
Vulnerability, and not just using windows update"

                                        >Twelfth: There is a fact that any GUI
operating system should open ports to hardware to operate well, and this is
refer to fact that the first 1024 ports in windows you can't change or
reconfigure, and the other act that the most secure operating system till now
is UNIX , as it is a command prompt operating system and have never been hacked
except when it become LINUX, with a GUI.

                                        >And even if it has been hacked, it
records the least amount of hacking processes than windows ofcourse.

                                        >Finally : No Doubt that Microsoft is
the greatest marketing company in the world, as it depends on user need, and
nothing is more important to user more than the fancy of GUI , Graphical User
Interface,

                                        >I think most of you agree with me that
this concept ; I mean GUI, is the main reason for Bill Jates treasure which
made up his riches, isn't it???

                                        >Now, can you tell me
                                        >
                                        >- Why the great companies and the
effective and sensitive corporations ( Like BMW, Aramco, Nokia ) prefer to put
a hardware firewall instead of ISA server?? ( This is a fact, I see it myself )

                                        >- Why most of multinational banks (
Like CIB, HSBC ) put more than three cascading hardware firewalls as it's front
door to internet??? ( This is a fact, I see it myself)

                                        >- Why Microsoft itself didn't use any
of it's products, in it's server farms, instead they using UNIX for mail server
as an example??? ( you can check it your self by reading the arguments shown to
you in the address bar of internet explorer when you open your hotmail inbox,
and ask a good web programmer about it )

                                        >- Why you don't recommend ISA server
for DAN as the cheapest way for a firewall system, as he can install it on a
high hardware qualified workstation, not should be a server, if you think that
ISA server can manage?????

INFRA" <DPietruszka@xxxxxx>
                                        > To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                        > Subject: [isalist] Re: Nothing is