[interfacekit] Re: __mime_table

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:54:49 CEST (+0200)

> > > Another possibility, which might be a bit too hackish, would be
> > > set
> > > up a BMessageRunner so that our sniffing happens on a reasonably
> > > regular
> > > schedule regardless of what else is going on.
> >
> > Mmh, wasn't it a bit annoying, if you're watching a movie and
> > suddenly
> > it starts dropping frames because the registrar thinks that the
> > time
> > was ripe for updating the MIME database?
>
> Could we possibly add an interface to register an application's
> signature as one that would be ingored by the registrar when deciding
                                 ^^^^ That's a pun, eh? ;-)
> whether the machine has been idle long enough (i.e., if only
> applications in the ignore list have been running, go ahead and run
> the
> sniffer)? I don't know offhand if this would be too much overhead or
> not.

On one hand I don't think that should be an application wide decision -
- an application may run threads of different priority -- and on the
other hand I still think that threads of little importance can be
identified by their priority, which would be <= B_LOW_PRIORITY. As the
registrar's updater thread would have B_LOW_PRIORITY it is even
guaranteed that the low priority threads won't be starved by the
updater thread.

CU, Ingo