[interfacekit] Re: __mime_table

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:59:31 -0700

> > >Very good point. Perhaps it is sufficient to not just to look, if
> > > there
> > >are spare CPU cycles at all, but, in case there are no spare cycle,
> > >analyze what priority the processes have that consume most of the
> > cycles.
> > >Supposing that SETI and similar background number crunching
> > > processes
> > have
> > >the lowest imaginable priority, this seems to be a reasonable
> > > strategy.
> >
> > Another possibility, which might be a bit too hackish, would be to
> > set
> > up a BMessageRunner so that our sniffing happens on a reasonably
> > regular
> > schedule regardless of what else is going on.
>
> Mmh, wasn't it a bit annoying, if you're watching a movie and suddenly
> it starts dropping frames because the registrar thinks that the time
> was ripe for updating the MIME database?

Could we possibly add an interface to register an application's
signature as one that would be ingored by the registrar when deciding
whether the machine has been idle long enough (i.e., if only
applications in the ignore list have been running, go ahead and run the
sniffer)? I don't know offhand if this would be too much overhead or
not.

-Tyler