[interfacekit] Re: __mime_table

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:45:19 CEST (+0200)

> >I assume, then, that somewhere there is an API (possibly just a
> >message protocol to the roster/registrar) to make concrete changes
> >the __mime_table, as my __mime_table is larger than the __mime_table
> >of a clean install, and contains entries from applications I once
> >installed but have since removed (such as BeatWare Mail-It). Does
> >anybody know about such an API (presumably from the olden days) off
> >hand?
> >

> Dunno the API (function name), but this call is probably
> done, I'd guess, in the ctor of BApplication, seeing how
> a machine that has never seen Diannes 'Quickres' tool will
> not open resources with it, whereas when you _launch quickres
> for the first time_, the mime table seems to be aware of
> it afterwards (same goes for other apps).
>
> Something more on the plate of Ingo for him to implement
> I guess =-)...

It is quasi-implemented so to speak: In BApplication::InitData() lurks
the line
        // TODO: create_app_meta_mime()
for quite some while. It just waits for the function to be implemented,
then it will turn magically into a butterfly... err, no... into the
actual function call. :-)

> This lingering-old-apps problem is a little annoying; a
> couple years ago I used to be anal with my mime database
> and go Delete (living dangerously..) some entries that
> seemed obsolete, now I don't bother any more, waiting
> for the next time I do a clean-install. (come on guys,
> coder quicker!! whip whip whip). It's the only one
> thing that prevents from saying that *BeOS is 100% clean
> WRT installing/deinstalling apps when compared to Win
> and its registry-of-death.

I wonder how to solve this problem. When walking through the FS the
registrar could as collect the app signatures it finds and remove all
others from the database. But I'm not sure, if this effect is always
desired. Just think of apps on removable media. E.g. a game on CD and
the game states saved on HD -- inserting the CD and double-clicking the
saved game won't work, when the registrar remove the game app before.
Maybe that example is a bit artificial. Mmh, then imagine a network
with applications on a server...

CU, Ingo