[PCB_FORUM] Re: how do YOU handle component spacing rules?

  • From: Kevin McCowan <kmccowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:44:39 -0400

Just because it is there doesn't mean you need to use it.
Stick with what you have now as long as it works.
It certainly would help a lot of people out I figure.
As I said earlier, I would welcome it.

Kevin

george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On-line placement checks would be nice, but I have a concern about adding
another layer of on-line DRC checking.

As it is, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to do a dbdoctor run on some of our
boards, and this is on dual Xeon PCs with 1 GB of RAM.  Creating and
updating modules takes similar times.  Another layer of DRC checking is
going to slow the process down even more.

It would help if Cadence would start using some multi-threading in Allegro
so it would operate more efficiently in conjunction with adding additional
DRC checks that will slow things down even more.  Even those with single
processors would benefit, at least those with hyper-threading processors.

The other option, of course, is getting some smaller boards to work on :)

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.