[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.12 dev 6

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:34:57 -0700

Hey Allan,

The first scenario you mentioned is not yet supported. As Carlos mentioned you can do something similar.
Say you had a gun and you had ammo clip items.
You could use an ammo clip to regenerate the number of bullets in your gun.
Which really actually regenerates them on your unit since only units and structures can have points on them right now.
Units and structures are basically the same thing in the game.

But of course this doesn't really handle the quiver scenario where the quiver is actually what holds the points. I'm not sure the best way to handle it and want to put a lot more thought into it before choosing a solution.

Should each item be able to have any of the points defined in the map pack?
If so, how could you say that using the item consumes one of the points?

For instance, say you had a cantene of water and it held 5 points worth of water. And you wanted it so that using it on yourself would reduce your thirst points and subtract 1 water point from the cantene.
So you'd have thirst_inflict=5 actions_cost=1 water_cost=1
Except it wouldn't be water_cost=1 since that would take water points from the unit just as the actions_cost= does and you want it to take from the cantene. So maybe I'd add a flag like item_water_cost=1 which could only be placed on items.
Maybe that would work out fine when the cantene is the item being used.

But then back to the quiver scenario. You would want the bow item to have an attack_arrow_cost_mod= flag so it now causes the attack skill to consume arrows. But how does the game know if it should consume arrows from the unit, from any equipped item or from any item in the unit's inventory that has that point?

Perhaps the arrow point file should have a flag indicating it is only valid for items and should always be taken from items. Then we might also say that when a skill takes item points it can only do that from currently equipped items.

Honestly I'm just thinking through it a bit as I write this email.
Really it just needs to be brainstormed a lot until we find a solution that seems like it will work best for the highest number of scenarios.

I'm open to brainstorming and suggestions.
I also think that we should play with the current setup for a bit and see what solutions we can find. I've been really impressed with how everyone has utilized points in ways they weren't really intended for to handle more interesting scenarios. I think we'll find similar solutions with items and gain more insight about the best way to extend them as we play with them more.

For your second item about the equipped items not working properly.
Be sure the item is using modifier flags as those are the only ones that apply when it is equipped.
For instance the long bow had this flag:
attack_health_inflict_mod=5r10
It only affects the attack skill and is the modifier, not the base health_inflict flag.

Where as the scroll of fire pillar had this flag:
health_inflict=10r15|magic
which is to say that when you use the scroll of fire pillar it deals that base damage.

In this way you could have an item that when used as an item does one thing but when equipped gives a different benefit.

Anyway, not sure if that really helps you figure out why it's not working in your case or not. It could just be a bug in the engine too, if you want to post the map I'll have a look.