[ian-reeds-games] A few responses

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:25:03 -0700

Hey all!

I'm hoping to get a dev version out today with some new scripting enhancements.

I wanted to quickly respond to a few questions.

Craig said: if it’s stored in the global object, is it a new global object each time the map starts/restarts? I say: Yes, it should be a new global object each time a map starts or restarts. Additionally it is persisted and loaded when a player saves and later loads their game. The next dev version will have a map.RemoveUnit function which removes the unit without going through the normal death sequence.

Allan said: Lastly, I have to ask. Wouldn't it be easier to let an equippable item stand alone like a skill, instead of making it an extension of a skill? I mean, the extension works, but in my opinion, it isn't enough. There is going to be situations that come up and flags are going to have to be made to cover them, and int he end, it might just be harder work in the long run, then to just let the equipment do things like a skill. I say: Obviously the item itself can be used just like a skill but you are speaking specifically about equipment. There are a couple of thoughts here and I still need to think through it more but I think you've got a good idea. Obviously not all equipment would work like skills, for instance equipping a bullet proof vest gives me more protection but doesn't give me new abilities.
I think the 3 ways that we could do equipment that adjust skills are:
1 Let the equipped item adjust modifiers on skills. This is what we're currently supporting.
2 Let the equipped item enable certain skills that are otherwise disabled.
3 Let the equipped item act as a skill just as useable items do which is what you are suggesting.

I think option 1 is quite valid, especially for almost all types of armor.
And it is also nice to change your attack to a bow instead of a sword as was done in the example map. But I think you are right that it's going to quickly get out of hand having custom flags to let option 1 adjust all the things option 2 or 3 would let you do.
So we'll keep option 1 around for the cases it handles well.
Option 2 and 3 are pretty similar except that option 2 requires you to define a separate skill file.
For that reason I like option 3 better.
The only downside to option 3 is that you could not separate what an item does if used as an item versus what it does if equipped and used as an equipped skill.
Maybe this isn't really a problem.
If we did option 3 I think I'd have a useable_when_equipped flag.
Then you'd use the same flags you use with skills or useable items but you'd only be able to use this item when it's equipped. Additionally it would not be used from the use item skill but would instead show up as it's own skill whenever equipped.
Does anyone see problems with option 3?

I'm sure I've missed responding to plenty of other questions. Feel free to repeat a question I missed if it was important.