[ian-reeds-games] Re: A few responses

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:15:26 -0700

Hey Zak,

Zak said: will the item show up in the unit's root menu as if it were a skill when it is equipped? I say: Yes, and later we may have a flag for changing the name of it when it shows up as a skill. In the beginning though, having a shot gun item equipped make a shot gun skill appear seems reasonable.

Zak said: And if you do option 2 as well, will the skill only show up once the item is in the unit's possession? I say: Yes, it would have to be in the unit's possession and equipped as well.

You also mentioned item points and I agree Allan needs something better to do what he wants for having ammo for each item. It makes sense. I need to put some more thought into it and consider unit points, item points and team wide points all at the same time to make sure they will work well together.

Zak said: Alternatively, would it be possible for an item/skill to use up other items? That way you could stack arrows as items and have each shot of your bow use one of them. I say: Yes, this is a good idea. I hadn't thought of a good way of doing it until just now. What if there were just an item_cost= flag that you could put on a skill or item.
So a long bow skill could have item_cost=arrow|1
This would also work for a long bow that becomes equipped and adds a new long bow skill.

Ah, but wait. What if I had arrows, poisoned arrows, fire arrows and magic arrows and I should be able to shoot any of them using my long bow? The game needs to know that any are valid and that not all are needed and the player needs some way to indicate to the game which type of arrow they want to shoot. I think the trickier part is how the player indicates which type of arrow they are shooting. I suppose it could just come up as a menu after they choose to use the long bow skill. And if only one ammo type was available the game chooses the only option.
I'm open to ideas on it.

Ah, but now the arrows also need to effect the long bow skill in their own way, fire arrows dealing fire damage and poisoned arrows causing the poison effect to the target.
Maybe in addition to the item_cost= flag I need to have an item_ammo= flag.
There could be special rules about ammo, it works like cost except that a unit can use any valid ammo and the ammo affects the skill using it. It could definitely have it's mod flags affect the skill, like health_inflict_mod=5|fire for fire damage. But currently there's no way to add a poison effect through modifiers, the effect has to be on the base skill and it's a little strange to run both long bow and then poison arrow as individual skills. I could combine their flags and effects when performing the calculations and logic, but I'd want to make sure this isn't going to prohibit other situations from working. So if the arrows did not have the useable_once, useable_forever or useable_when_equipped flags then combining their flags with the long bow skills flags seems fine. If they did have one of the useable_* flags then someone might want to say that stabbing with an equipped poison arrow deals less damage than shooting it but still causes poison and they wouldn't have a way to do that. Perhaps I'm getting into pretty rare cases, but I like to run through a fair amount of scenarios before implementing something.

I'm really just thinking out loud and writing it up as I go. I appreciate other ideas.

Thanks for the brainstorming.