[huskerlug] Re: Mepis vs SuSE

  • From: Jerry Kreps <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:52:27 -0500

On Thursday 18 August 2005 02:58, Jim Worrest wrote:
>  I hope they don't go the route Knoppix  and do the
>  live DVD, it would take me too long to download!

I downloaded the Knoppix Live-DVD and tried it out, primarily to test the new
KDE desktop.

I don't understand the philosophy behind a Live-DVD.  Folks with only a modem
connection couldn't download it.  Folks with a broadband connection don't
need too because Debian based clones like MEPIS have access to all the
software they need via Synaptic access to the Debian repository.    When you
install MEPIS you only install those additional programs that you want to, so
your install doesn't pork out.