[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:23:45 -0600

The DRS News
April 2003

Hello Homeclinic'ers,

Welcome to your current issue of the DRSNews.
This newsletter is sent once each month, and only by request.
If you enjoy it, you're welcome to tell your friends about it.
They can subscribe by emailing us : drs@xxxxxxxxxx with
the subject 'SubscribeDRSN' & their first name in the text.

You're subscribed as: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this message.

My goal is to supply you with useful appliance information,
$-saving DIY tips, an occasional encouraging word, and maybe
even a smile from time to time.  I've wanted to do something
like this for our friends for many years, and am thrilled to
finally have the opportunity!  Thanks for subscribing!
  - Dave Harnish, Dave's Repair Service, New Albany, PA
    Email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx  Phone: 570-363-2404
***************************************
In this issue:

1) Beware Those Screened Dryer Vent Hoods!
2) Loose Circuit Breaker Connections and Your Safety
3) Miscellaneous Dept: Recently Discovered Resources

1) I found yet another one of the newer screened vent hoods
clogged this week, and with Starlings, Wrens, and other
amorous critters trying to nest in any available cavity in
or around your humble abode this time of year, thought I'd
better warn you about this.

The short version: never, never put any type of screen
over your dryer vent! We're seeing more screened hoods
on the market than ever before, and manufacturers need to
be informed that this is a big mistake.

Even though we still see it occasionally, most everyone
realizes attaching pantyhose to a dryer vent is a fire, or at
least dryer service call, waiting to happen. It seems incredible
that a 3/8 inch mesh screen can possibly clog with dryer lint,
but we're seeing it happen on a regular basis. Common
symptoms include poor drying and long dry times, and a dryer
that burns out its thermal fuses and/or elements on a regular
basis.

As you readers that have endured reading the DRSN for a
while already know, if your dryer exhibits any of these
symptoms, the first thing you do is turn it on, empty, and
check the airflow outside. As we've discussed before,
airflow is more important than heat in the drying process.

The screens snap right off most of these hoods, and I highly
recommend you go yank it off ASAP. (Go ahead, I'll wait?)
Better still, replace it with a louvered type hood and get
better airflow, better sealing, and fewer critters in the bargain.
The louvered hoods don't appear to attract cavity-nesters at
all.

2) A big DRSN Thank You! to Reg D. this month, for
reminding me of another fairly common but easily overlooked
cause of beeping smoke alarms.

(First a 'disclaimer': Reg D. is a retired electrical engineer
and is confident doing this himself, but if you're not
comfortable working around electricity, turn the house main
breaker off first or call an electrician to do this for you.)

It's a good idea to pop the cover off your house electrical
supply breaker box every year or two and have a look at
the wire coming off each breaker. We often notice wire
insulation that's wrinkled and sometimes charred, starting at
the breaker connection and extending a few inches out the
wire. This indicates an overheating wire, and is nearly
always caused by a loose breaker screw under which the
wire's clamped.

You'll usually find this on higher current-carrying lines that
supply an electric dryer, range, or water heater, but it can
happen at any of the breakers. It's surprising how loose
these screws can become in just a year or two.  Just 'snugging'
them every once in a while will prevent any surprises.

If any of the wires do show signs of overheating, take a
good look at the appearance of the copper that clamps under
the screw. If it's not bright and shiny, but dark and charred
looking, you'll want to either scrape it bright, or, better still,
cut the wire back until you find 'fresh' copper. Sometimes this
will mean wire-nutting a piece of new wire 'tail' onto the original
lead, but it's necessary because heat-stressed copper can't
be trusted to make a good connection.

Note this applies to new houses too.  I see this problem nearly
as often in new construction as old. If the installer doesn't
tighten these screws down securely, the same problems occur.

Caution: These screws are 'hot' if the breaker is on. Use
common sense, an insulated screwdriver, and work slowly,
paying attention to where the metal screwdriver shank is
wandering.

3) Miscellaneous Dept:

* I'll soon be releasing the back issues index to this little
project; it's hard to believe a year has gone by already!
(You've endured approx. 40 articles to date - I'm proud
of you all! <grin>)

* I'm really flattered by all the positive feedback you great
folks have given us! Thanks! It's encouraged us to start
working on a website and compiling these 30 years worth
of tips and tricks into one 'ebook'.  I hope to have both up
and running by mid-year, including an archive of DRSN
back issues. Stay tuned.

* A kind fellow, Rick Meyers, has come up with some of the
best, most intuitive Bible study software I've seen yet! This
has freed up about 10 feet of shelf space at our house! And
it's all available for download to your computer - FREE!
Thanks, Rick!  www.e-sword.net

* Here's the list of appliance recalls from US Consumer
Protection, 1973-present:
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/appliance.html

* Don't forget to have your (2/97-12/01) Whirlpool Dehumidifier
reworked before the season kicks into high gear. If yours is
affected, please DO NOT USE IT until this is done! See if
yours is recalled, either on the site above, or at:
www.repair.whirlpool.com

Homeclinic'ers, thanks again for subscribing to these
ramblings; I hope they've been of benefit to you!

God bless you all,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
(570) 363-2404

'The grass withereth, the flower fadeth; but the
word of our God shall stand forever.' - Isa 40:8

A Big Thank You to Our Sponsors:

Still think You can work 40 years and Retire?
You need to read our FREE REPORT!
www.RetireQuickly.com/26556

Learn how to advertise Anything to all that
eBay traffic!
http://hop.clickbank.net/?birdguy/silentsale

Postmaster - Unlimited Auto-Responders
and a whole lot more! Free Demo Download:
www.post-master.net/rs/DLH

Or send us a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with 'unsubscribe DRSN' in the 'Subject' line

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic