[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:01:53 -0600

The DRSNews
August 2003
Hello Homeclinic'ers,

Welcome to your current issue of the DRSNews!
This newsletter is sent monthly, and only by request.
If you enjoy it, tell your friends about it. They can
subscribe by simply emailing us : drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with 'SubscribeDRSN' as the Subject & their first
name in the text.

You're subscribed as: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this message.

My goal is to supply you with useful appliance information,
$-saving DIY tips, an occasional encouraging word, and maybe
even a smile from time to time.  I've wanted to do something
like this for our friends for many years, and am blessed to
have the opportunity!  Thanks for subscribing!
  - Dave Harnish, Dave's Repair Service, New Albany, PA
    Email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx Phone: 570-363-2404
***************************************
In this issue:

1) 'The Power of Eights' - Brightening Dull Digital Displays
2) Fast and Simple Window A/C System Diagnosis
3) Your Refrigerator And 'HHH' Weather - Quick Tips

1) Every once in a while we see a fluorescent digital display that's
grown really dim and hard to see, most often in a microwave oven
controller. In many cases it's just those digits, or parts of them,
on the left side.  And there's a quick fix that you might find useful.

Displays often need to be disassembled and cleaned to correct
this - our homebrew window cleaner works well for the purpose -
but it's not an easy job. But if yours isn't as bright as it used
to be (be nice - we're gettin' old & sensitive!), especially those
seldom used segments of digits on the left, try this.

Simply enter '8888' (assuming a 4-digit display) and let it sit that
way for the better part of a day. This will 'burn off' impurities
that have accumulated on the little-used segments/digits, and
the results can be dramatic.

Not something you'll see often, but worth a try. Note this
doesn't  apply to LCD displays, but only fluorescents, whose
digits actually glow.

2) Back in March we talked about easy diagnosis of home
refrigeration systems using the frost pattern on the evaporator
coil.  We warned against allowing anyone to poke a hole in
the system to attach gauges, etc, to 'check the system', because
it's simply unnecessary.

This also applies to window air conditioning units, with only a
slight difference. If you think yours may have a system problem
(leak or restriction, etc), just run it 15-20 minutes and inspect
the evaporator (cold) coil. Instead of an even pattern of frost,
as in refrigerators, you're hoping to see a nice, even coating
of water droplets over the entire coil. This can be hard to see
on some units and at some humidity levels.  But it's a lot easier
to check if you can gain access to the copper return bends at
the coil ends, where the moisture shows up much better than in
the coil's fins.

If the condensation pattern's covering the entire coil, and even
the larger suction line headed back to the compressor, breathe
easier - the expensive stuff's OK!

If there's only a partial condensation coating, or part of the
coil's frosted and the rest dry - ouch! You probably have a
system problem. I'd still disassemble and double-check that the
condenser isn't clogged with dirt, but the above usually tells
us it's gonna be expensive!

This time of year many of the complaints we get on the smaller
units come from sizing errors, so I thought it might be a good
idea to reprint our handy-dandy 'rule of thumb' sizing guide:

Sq Ft                     Approx BTUh capacity required

100                                   3500-4500
200                                   5000-5500
300                                   6500-7000
400                                   7500-8000
500                                   8500-9500
600                                   9500-10.5k
700                                   11k-12k
800                                   12k-13k
900                                   13k-14k
1000                                 14k-15k
1500                                 19k-21k
1800                                 22k-24k
2000                                 23k-25.5k

(These figures assume an occupied space above the ceiling;
add about ½ size if the ceiling is insulated under an attic, and
add a full size if the ceiling is non-insulated. Also, add at least
one size if the cooled area includes a kitchen)

3) Here are a couple of quick tips to help keep your refrigerator
purring happily along in August's heat, haze, and humidity:

Keeping the condenser clean is probably the most life prolonging
kindness you can give your refrigerator, and the trusty wet-vac
and a long brush make it quick and painless. See the 5/02
DRSNews for more.

(BTW, we're hoping to have DRSNews back-issues and article
indexes available online soon, but in the meantime, let me know
if you'd like to re-read any previous issues, or the article index,
and we'll be happy to send them. The Ebook grows ever nearer
to completion, but these busy summer months do slow progress
down a bit)

If you've noticed the fan motor in your freezer section running
noisier than usual, or if it's been making any intermittent
'squealing' noises that you've been blaming on the cat, now's
the time to replace it (the motor, not the cat... well, yeah, maybe
the cat too... <grin>) Fan motor bearings that are failing or badly
worn will often 'rattle' and slow the fan down, and when they
become 'terminal', they'll often start to squeal - not what you
want to hear in July or August.

That one little fan motor is responsible for circulating air
through both the refrigerator and freezer compartments. And
if it's running at all slow, as they say on Hatch Hill when the
dog starts to 'bear-bark' in the wee hours, 'better git up an'
do somethin' 'bout that 'fore it gits ugly.'

And it's surprising how much difference just cleaning those
tiny fan blades can make in airflow. It's noticeable immediately
if the blade was very dirty. It's really amazing how filthy they
can get, running inside a clean freezer!

Well, that's about it for this issue.

Thanks for allowing me into your inbox again this month.
I hope you enjoy reading this little project half as much
as I enjoy writing it for you.  What great friends we're
making through this great medium! Thanks for all your
encouragement, guys! We really appreciate you!

May the Lord richly bless you & yours, and may He continue
to have mercy on America.

Warmly,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
(570) 363-2404

***************************************
'Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord
imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit
there is no guile.' - Psa. 32:2
***************************************

The 'Best of the Best' List:

'Retire in 5 Years, NOT 5 Decades' (That's not 'Hype')
Don't Miss the FREE 30-Minute Online Seminar:
www.QuickRetirementSeminar.com/26556

Spam Terminator - FINALLY!
Our Spam's Under Control! Is Yours?
http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/6998

There's GOLD in All That Ebay Traffic!
http://hop.clickbank.net/?birdguy/silentsale

Or send us a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with 'unsubscribe DRSN' in the 'Subject' line
(And hey, tell us why, OK? <grin>)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic