[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:01:56 -0600

The DRSNews
June 2004
By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved
You are currently subscribed with email address:
==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.
You are encouraged to forward this newsletter to friends!
***************************************
A Special Welcome to all our new subscribers! Howdy!

Note: to ensure this newsletter gets through all the
?spam? filtering now in use, I recommend that you add my
address to your email program?s address book:
drs@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Homeclinic'ers!

In this issue:

1) Summertime - Can Your Refrigerator Breathe?
2) Send me a Testimonial - I'm Offering Bribes!
3) Reminder: Saving Your Refrigerator Door Seals

1) Here we are once again at the start of that season when
refrigerators start to shudder. To help keep yours humming
along through the heat and humidity of summer, here are a
couple of tips I always repeat this time of year:

Best Refrigerator Tip #1:

Keep that condenser clean!
All the heat removed from the food inside a refrigerator is
moved 'outside the box' by the condenser coil. Nearly always
black because black radiates heat best, these coils used to
be flat and nearly the size of the cabinet. They hung on the
back, where they quietly radiated heat to the kitchen, requiring
no fan to keep them cool. It was a good system, using gravity
to provide airflow and saving energy by not requiring a fan
('Did require 2-3 inches of airspace above the refrig, though).

There are still a few units out there with their coils hanging
on the back, and if this describes yours, wonderful! You will
never have the pleasure of doing what most of us get to do
every year or so. (Guys: you can still lie on the kitchen floor
and pretend to do something useful, but be sure she doesn't
read this newsletter <g>).

Nearly all condensers these days are folded or rolled and
stuffed underneath the refrigerator, and need a fan to pull
air through them to do their job.

I won't get into the logic behind this change, but it adds one
more item to the list of preventive maintenance jobs around
your house. And it's probably the number 2 reason a refrig pro
is called in (and paid!), so you can save some money here.

Once a year - early summer's a great time - pull the toe-plate
off the refrig and have a look underneath. Most condenser air
inlets are on the right side, though some pull air in across the
whole width of the cabinet. (note there are a few - Maytag
products mostly - that require back cover removal to clean
the inlet of their 'jelly-roll' shaped coil).

This air inlet area's where you'll see lint buildup, and it's often
just a solid wall of lint - definitely NOT what you want! You
don't want any lint there, bc it acts as insulation, and you want
the best heat transfer efficiency you can get from that coil.

Just turn the refrig off and fire up your trusty shop-vac. A
brush specifically made for this purpose is a really handy tool
for the job, and on the models with tightly packed coils, is an
absolute must.

Here's an example of one that works well for me and really
speeds up the job:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/condbrush.htm

For more on this job, including a precaution or two, please see
item #4 in the May '02 DRSNews:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/drsn0502.htm

2) I'm looking for testimonials from our subscribers/customers
to post on my website, and I'll BRIBE you to get one! <grin>

Here's the Deal:
If the DRSNews or your dealings with Dave's Repair Service
have been at all beneficial to you (or even if you've been
disappointed - this'd be a good time to fix whatever might be
broken!), please send me a short testimonial at drs@xxxxxxxxxx

If your testimonial is selected for publication, I'll post it, along
with your first name, initial of your last name, and city/state/
country, on my website. I do reserve the right to edit it for clarity
and brevity.

And here's The Bribe!
I'll publish, along with your testimonial, a one-line description of
your website, and a live link to it, so be sure and include the URL!
(I have a legal obligation to tell you that I reserve the right to
screen your website for inappropriate content before posting)

I plan on keeping one of these testimonials near the top of my
homepage, with a link to a separate page (or pages) of them
underneath. This homepage testimonial will be rotated on a regular
basis to keep it 'fresh', so there's a good chance yours will end up
there at one time or another.

Any of you that have been marketing for a while know that the
more 'external' links pointing to your site, the more traffic you get,
and you'll recognize the value in this 'bribe'.

I hope to have at least some of these published in next month's
issue, so don't wait - send 'em on in! Remember to include your
name, city/state, and the URL of any website you promote, along
with a one-line description of the site. Send them to
drs@xxxxxxxxxx

And I'm serious about emailing me even if you've been disappointed
or dissatisfied. Please do so. I won't be personally offended, and if
there's a problem, I 'can't fix it if I don't know it's broke'.

Thanks in advance! And a special Thanks to you kind folks who've
already sent your 'unsolicited' feedback. I appreciate that.

Ok, back to refrigerators...

3) Best Refrigerator Tip #2:
Another preventive maintenance item that is more important than
ever is door gasket lubrication. Those of you who've been with
me for a while have heard this before, but this is a great time of
year to check on it. I've copied the following article from my website,
'How to add 10 years of life to your refrig door seals', below:
(from http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefseallube.htm )

Here?s a simple trick that will most likely prevent your ever
having to replace either of your  refrigerator?s door seals.  It becomes
even more valuable if you own one of the newer models whose seals
are no longer attached with screws, but GLUED on (a really dumb
idea there, manufacturers!)

Once every year (make it a part of Spring housecleaning?
Anyone still DO Spring housecleaning?) wipe down the
working surfaces of the seals with a damp cloth, and dry.
Then  apply a thin film of Petroleum Jelly to the HINGE side
surface of both seals. (ONLY to the hinge side working surface
that contacts the cabinet, NOT  the whole seal!). This allows
the sliding face of the seal to, well, slide, across the hinge-side
cabinet face, and prevent its twisting and tearing, the #1 cause
of failure.

There was a time when new refrigerators, at least Frigidaires,
arrived from the factory with this already done, but that was
back in the late 70?s so I?m dating myself and we?ll drop that
subject! <grin>

***

Thanks again, Homeclinic'ers, for allowing me into your inbox again
this month.

Feel free to invite others to subscribe. They can just email
me with ?Subscribe DRSN? in their email subject line, or sign up
on the website www.DavesRepair.com

Also, if you have any topics you?d like to see discussed here or
covered in an online article, let me know and I?ll do my best to
oblige. The website's a resource I'm excited about, because it
allows a lot more flexibility and detail than email. It's a lot easier,
for example, to use photos to illustrate something in a web
document than via email.

May the Lord richly bless you & yours!

Your Friend,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair ServiceNew Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

Only one thing in the physical world is unaffected by entropy!
Know what it is? (Hint: see Isaiah 40:8)

Real Security is NOT a Regular Paycheck.
http://www.RetireQuickly.com/26556 ;

Discount Appliance Parts, Vintage Manuals, Appliance Help
for the ?Handy?, DRSNews Back issues, and More:
http://www.DavesRepair.com

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only. Your name and
email address are held in strictest confidentiality and are never
shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line
(But hey, tell me why, and I'll try to make it right, OK?)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic