[openbeos] Re: sync daemon?

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:27:06 -0200 BRST

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:41:26 -0500, Karl vom Dorff said:

> Just playing with Haiku, and the amount it crashes or hangs, I'm
> always
> losing information. I was wondering if there was ever a utility for
> BeOS, or
> if it would be something to consider adding to Haiku.
>
> A daemon that would sync the disk every 5 minutes or so. Maybe this
> is
> beyond my understanding or I have it wrong, but the way I see it,
> even in
> BeOS, if your system crashed or hung while you were working on
> something, or
> say stuff you downloaded, well that would be gone upon restart. There
> is no
> scan disk in BeOS.

Yes, this seesm to be beyond your understanding. :) No offfense meant.
The disk cache is supposed to be flushed form time to time (it sesms it
is not right now, but this is not a task for a sync daemon as you
propose). BeOS didn't have a scan disk because BFS is a journaled
filesystem and is able to recover from most crashes gracefully.

Other than that, the SCSI subsystem is missing support for the cache
flush/sync command wich makes things worse. I am about to commit
support for that on the tree which should help with data integrity.

-Bruno

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The Official MBA Handbook on business cards:
        Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm,
Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate
Planning."