[openbeos] Re: sync daemon?

  • From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:28:41 -0200

On 1/18/07, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When you have an active app it requires even more user interaction to
get to the desktop and unmount the volume in BeOS.

Just pull the thing ;)
Then the dialog will inform you if there are pending writes.
That is, if someone ends up implementing the idea I proposed...
But as things stand today, you are correct. I'm spoiled by Exposé; it
has a shortcut to put every window away and quickly show the desktop.

I thought of directly listing all volumes in the Deskbar (instead of
the desktop). There even was some mockup with this idea, but I can't
find it, anymore.

Could be... But I'm short on ideas on how not to make this feel like
clutter. I'm a little bauhausian regarding having something constantly
visible on screen when I was not the one to specifically put it there.
And a button or trigger is yet another level of indirection, making it
big is just annoying, and making it small and barely noticeable makes
it hard to select.

As inelegant as it seems, a "show desktop" command solves this better
than having a discrete command on the Deskbar. One could even change
workspaces if one finds it more convenient. However the most
user-friendly option is just to let the person unplug the drive and
let he know whether he's supposed to plug it back in or not.

I guess an image overlay indicating a busy drive wouldn't hurt,
either. Like the one we currently have indicating used/free space.