[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #239

  • From: Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:55:27 -0400

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Christopher Walker
> <sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > If more choice really is less, then why should there be a Haiku OS at
> all?
> > Why don't we all use just Windows or Mac or Linux? As Google's chrome
> > browser has shown, sometimes variety is good not necessarily because it
> > gives us a choice, but because it encourages the innovation of others.
>
> That's a silly argument. We don't need other Haiku distros as
> competition because we already have the thousands of Linux distros,
> the various BSDs, Windows, Mac OS X, Syllable, AROS, and tons of other
> OSes to compete with.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ryan

There's more to Haiku than nice code. If haiku is a unified system then we
can expect an easier experience for users and better OS for
developers--->really good apps. That's really the bottom line. If your new
distro 'improves' haiku it won't matter because you'll just end up playing
with empty tracker windows since nobody will want to support a mess.