[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #239

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:13:37 -0400

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Nicholas Blachford
<nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll not write anything else  now, my email (when done) will explain what I
> think the problems are in detail, and suggest solutions.  Some are simple
> and can be fixed with rewording, others are rather more complex and subtle.

Well we welcome any improvements, the distro guidelines are clearly not perfect.

The one thing I would like to say about the whole distro thing is:
free market economics. If someone comes along and spends all kinds of
time taking Haiku and turning it into something really great, that's
fine. If their code is open, we can just take their changes and
improve Haiku with it. If their code is closed, then we may or may not
bother trying to copy what they did. If they change Haiku so much that
it is no longer Haiku, well then they just will have that much more
work to get old BeOS programs working, or to get Haiku programs
working with their incompatible changes. Unless they have a lot of
time or money, at some point it won't be worth it anymore, and they
will go away. If on the other hand they create something so awesome
and so great that Haiku sucks in comparison, then likely we will all
jump on board. That is a free market.

Now let's say someone just comes along and creates a distro that adds
a bunch of new default libraries to Haiku. If a developer then tries
to develop against those libraries and release something meant for
both that distro and Haiku, their app will break on Haiku. Maybe users
would blame Haiku for that problem, but it would not take long for the
application to get blamed. Then that developer will be sure to include
the libraries he needs with his app, and he may no longer choose to
develop on that other distro.

So either way I think these things will work themselves out. Because
fortunately it takes some work to create new distros. You need a site
to host them, bandwidth for them to be downloaded. I don't think
someone will create a distro out of spite. Especially when Haiku is
open to being improved so that distros just aren't needed.

Now if someone creates an OS and calls it Haiku, and they have more
money and lawyers than we do, well we can't do much. But the kind of
negative marketing they would get for "stealing" that name just
doesn't make it worth it in my opinion. Plus they would have to spend
a lot of time trying to overcome the massive search engine presence
that our Haiku has.

--
Regards,
Ryan