[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #239

  • From: Nev <Nev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 12:39:53 +0800

At 11:32 AM 7/10/09, you wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Christopher Walker
<sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ground in the Linux base. This leads to distributions that try to add
> features or stand out in a specific field of usage, which I hope you'll
> agree is an improvement (For example, Ubuntu's Moblin development

Actually this is precisely where some of the problems lie which lead
us to want to avoid it: In the process of trying to improve, lots of
subtle little things wind up being changed that break application
behavior, which is why every major distro has its own package
repository full of custom patches to every app known to man to get
them all to work correctly with said distro's changes. One of the
goals with Haiku is to allow easy commercial / closed source
development, which is effectively impossible when you have no
guarantees as to what a given user's version of Haiku might contain.
In Linux land this generally isn't an issue since nobody cares about
commercial developers, but that happens to be one of the points on
which we want to differentiate ourselves, and as such distro hell is
something to be avoided, not embraced.

Regards,

Rene

From a future end user and I think for many  please NO distros.