[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #239

  • From: Christopher Walker <sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:25:29 -0600

Perhaps more choice is not necessarily better, but does that mean it is
necessarily worse? Indeed, while I could argue the merits of parts of
Schwartz's work, I'll admit that he does have a few points.

However, I'll point out that the "distro hell" scenario as you call it does
provide a suitable competitive environment. Differing distributions, or even
KDE and Gnome, often have a tendency to compete with each other to gain
ground in the Linux base. This leads to distributions that try to add
features or stand out in a specific field of usage, which I hope you'll
agree is an improvement (For example, Ubuntu's Moblin development
distribution and its Netbook Remix have both contributed to an improved user
interface for Netbook users; Zenwalk provides a distribution specifically
for those who want a strong development environment.). In turn, this leads
to a sort of "natural selection" of the distributions; those which are
practical and useful are often used, while those that are not are forgotten.

If more choice really is less, then why should there be a Haiku OS at all?
Why don't we all use just Windows or Mac or Linux? As Google's chrome
browser has shown, sometimes variety is good not necessarily because it
gives us a choice, but because it encourages the innovation of others.