[haiku] Re: Japanese Haiku distribution "Basho" R1/Alpha 1 released

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:32:52 -0700

Rene Gollent wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To me, you are either too sensitive or paranoid, and have this tendency
to react emotionally rather than rationally to observations or criticism
that are actually meant to make things better for the project.

And thus far, you are the only person who thinks you're criticizing in
a constructive manner. Everybody else thinks you're being aggressive
and abrasive, and frankly it makes no sense to me.

Everybody else? Really?

Like the Haiku
developers themselves, everybody involved in Haiku Inc. are purely
volunteers, mostly doing completely thankless tasks that are about as
fun as watching paint dry, i.e. keeping track of finances, dealing
with countless IRS forms, etc.. Yelling at somebody as you're
effectively doing...

Yelling? What yelling?

 may work when you're their boss, but when they're a
volunteer who's contributing what little they have of spare time to
try and help, constantly being blasted in public fora does nothing
except kill their enthusiasm and/or self esteem, and in the long term
will just make them quit doing it and spend their time on something
else that doesn't involve public denigration. I don't see you blasting
the developers for not having this or that feature implemented by now
and being silent about what they're going to do next. Why is Haiku
Inc. so different that you feel the need to frankly be an ass at every
turn lately? It's no longer clear what you're trying to accomplish
except get every single person to quit.

If you read my emails carefully, you will notice that I simply pointed out a problem and suggested a solution (as I usually do). For some reason, that irks you and a few others. That Haiku Inc. related stuff has come up more frequently lately is more a matter of what Haiku Inc. does or does not do, or how it does it, rather me going after them as you seem to imply.

You seem to forget that I am also a volunteer and I have also spent a great deal of my time doing tedious stuff that is no fun at all. So what? Still, I had not problem with admitting failure in many instances where other people pointed out a problem with what I did. That did not make me feel blasted/denigrated/shouted at/whatever.

Anyway, I rest my case, as at this point I am just fed up with people who like you cannot focus on the substance of the discussion and instead make this sort of stuff personal and in the process portray me as somebody who is trying to attack/denigrate/demotivate individuals.

Regards,

Jorge